Sony A7R V creators app a bust for me with pixel 6 pro and Sony a7r5

Gadgetman48

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michael
I got the update for my a7rv today to firmware 2.00 and installed creators app on my good pixel 6. However, would only connect about 1 or 10 times trying.
Tried reinstalling the app, camera on and off, turning bluetooth and wifi on and off, no joy, just rarely connects, looks great when it does. Had some weird times with partial connect the awful spinning circle too. Pairing went fine with the pixel 6 but then the app wouldn't connect still. Also, kept saying it was already connected. I have never used sony's cellphone connections due to it being too flaky.
Checked with tech support and then , out of the blue, it started working just enough to see it could be very handy.
anybody else having this problem.
Plan to try it with the 100-400 gm with 1.4x multiplier on the back porch for shy birds.
Also, I do notice the gps connection seems to work a lot better on the a7rv vs the a7riii.

I’m waiting for the update to the update of the app. I haven’t been able to upload an image to the cloud with the app since the firmware release on A7iv. We can’t be expecting too much from anything issued for free.

For clarity, it connects reliably to iPhone and remote control also works.

The app is a disaster. Just tried to use it again on my porch. Very intermittent, shutten response very slow, same on 5 or 2.4 wifi channel. Does work well when it works which is totally unpredictable.
Why can't sony make an app that works.
Wonder if the android support (pixel 6 pro) is just not there. Wonder if it workers for iphones. Anybody know.
What a great idea though.

Sorry to hear that.

I’m a boring person who holds the viewfinder to my eye and presses the shutter button, almost always. I do use a cable release when I am photographing the moon, or a pixel-shift, or the component shots of a composite.

Never used an app to control the camera - maybe I should? Sounds like I should wait until you folks get the bugs out of it, though. Thank you for your diligent efforts testing it ;)

I was naively thinking I could take better photos of birds in the back yard if I could leave the camera on a tripod and remotely trigger and it does work better WHEN IT ACTUALLY WORKS.

I was naively thinking I could take better photos of birds in the back yard if I could leave the camera on a tripod and remotely trigger and it does work better WHEN IT ACTUALLY WORKS.
Thank you - I had not thought of doing it that way. Yes, that would make the problems much more annoying. I hope they are resolved quickly.

Sorry to hear that.

I’m a boring person who holds the viewfinder to my eye and presses the shutter button, almost always. I do use a cable release when I am photographing the moon, or a pixel-shift, or the component shots of a composite.

Never used an app to control the camera - maybe I should? Sounds like I should wait until you folks get the bugs out of it, though. Thank you for your diligent efforts testing it ;)
So, I want the remote for tracked astrophotography.
Really you don't want to touch the rig if a all possible to initiate shots, i use the built in intervalometer and the bulb mode timer too. I got the jjc cheaper bluetooth remote this week and used it last night and it performed what seemed to be flawlessly (don't ever say flawless with sony alpha cameras)

As per my thread, seven months later, the app is still a monstrosity.

But my status is... actually still working. On an android phone. Well, a tablet: my phone is too old.

I don't do or need remote control at this time, although it's nice to know it is there. I do on-the-spot upload to phone and post to friends.

It is really disgusting that Sony can't get something like this right, good and simple to use and install. With meaningful error messages. And it is not because it is free, it is part of the deal. And anyway, much of the stuff we use on phones (and PCs, especially us Linux users) is free to us, and frequently brilliant.

/rant

Back