Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Does anyone know if the a9iii is coming soon any info please

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Having searched the usual sites no solid info, even specs all over the place any info please post regarding specs launch, even if it is just a hear say, I am starting to think the long wait could have been a waste of time for me, still talk of the 24 megapixel remaining

I don't think there have been any concrete rumors or release dates posted so far. If Sony do plan to release an A9 III they are certainly dragging it out. Probably hoping most will purchase the A1 instead.

Most recent thing I saw still had it at the end of this year or even pushed into early next year, Jan/Feb-ish. Sony has released so many cameras this year it's tough to imagine them dropping another one this soon, but then again they do weird stuff, so 🤷‍♂️

I reckon the will bypass it and go for the A1 II ready for the Olympics.

This was the latest. I think it was already posted over in Rumors. Most of this is a reach, but his statement about it coming in Nov-Jan is pretty solid.

This is a totally unverified rumor and comes from an anonymous source. This means there is a high chance this rumor might be wrong. All I know from trusted sources is that the A9III is definitely coming in the November-January timeframe and that it’s going to be the fastest camera on market. But they shared no detailed specs so far.

So just for the sake of fun, clickbait (LOL) and discussion, read this spec list and tell me what you think about it:

I was briefed on features of the new A9III:
The name isn’t final, but it will be marketed specifically to professional sports shooters and will NOT replace the A1 as Sony’s flagship. Video specs will be similar to the A7IV (no 8K, no external raw) but will feature several ultra-high fps modes.
Lots of new pro features.
Completely new body with built in vertical grip, will use 2x FZ100 batteries that can be independently swapped without turning the camera off (unlike the sled from current battery grip).
Additional custom buttons and switches (source suggested that both top dials would have lower control rings, and one would be customizable).
3.4″ tilting ultra-bright “dual-touch” screen that will allow use with gloves and when wet.
Dual CF-A/SD slots and compatible with saving directly to SSD via USB.
Source said a “cutting edge” sensor cleaning and dust/water prevention system will be featured, but details are still very secret even within Sony.
New BIONZ processor to support enhanced AF.
29MP sensor with global electronic shutter with no mechanical shutter.
Ultra fast start-up speed.
120fps full-res HEIF for 2s burst (limited by sensor memory). Source hinted that a 240fps reduced MP mode has been proposed to counter Z9.
60fps full-res HEIF/compressed raw with large buffer.
30fps uncompressed/compressed-lossless raw.
5.76MM dot HDR EVF with 240hz dynamic refresh, which will vary the refresh rate for battery saving.
Car/motorcycle AF tracking mode.
240 AF calculations per second (4x A9II).
2200 AF points with 100% coverage.
960fps cropped 1080p, 480fps oversampled 1080p, and 240fps (cropped) 4k S&Q.
Enhanced voice-to-text metadata writing with built in GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou/QZSS.
5G cellular and improved wifi speeds with port for external long-range wifi antenna.
5GBASE-T Ethernet port.

29mp, random 😆

29mp, random 😆

Not a big bump that really
Given the weird 29MP, I'm not putting any stock in it. Other than the Nov-Jan release which seems pretty solid, I don't trust any of it. He usually gets more 'accurate' (translation: they'll let him release more info) the closer it gets. If this follows the same pattern I think we'll start to hear more around the end of the end of Sept-mid Oct.

They were promising the a9iii back in 2021 we all know about electronics issues but this is just taking Sony users for granted , so usual service from them.

They were promising the a9iii back in 2021 we all know about electronics issues but this is just taking Sony users for granted , so usual service from them.
Exactly. I do think they shot themselves in the foot with the A1, and I know it took them by surprise. They are going to have to be careful with pricing too, the market it's aimed it is saturated by other brands and some great cameras.

Exactly. I do think they shot themselves in the foot with the A1, and I know it took them by surprise. They are going to have to be careful with pricing too, the market it's aimed it is saturated by other brands and some great cameras.
Which cameras Kev, I have maybe have been guilty of brand blindness

Last edited:
Nikon Z8, Canon R3, R6 II, R7. All worth looking at, and the prices are all less than an A9.
They all have fast FPS and the latest AF tracking, and all work with legacy lenses, plus the 100 500 RF, which is a great lens

Probably not credible and sounds more like R1 spec but Canonrumors has this list for the R5II

Rumored Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

• 62mp Stacked CMOS Image Sensor
  • Variable resolution of 62mp, 31mp, 15.5mp
  • 8K recording up to 60fps internally
  • 4K recording up to 120fps internally
  • DIGIC X2s Processor
  • Dual CFexpress Type-B Card Slots
  • Eye control autofocus
  • A revised variable angle LCD panel
  • 5.76m-DOT 120fps EVF
  • Multi-function hot shoe
  • New battery, but same form as the LP-E6
  • New button layout and controls
  • Launch of new Canon camera app at the same time
  • Projected February 2024 Announcement

Probably not credible and sounds more like R1 spec but Canonrumors has this list for the R5II

Rumored Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications
Yeah that'll be the R1

Nikon Z8, Canon R3, R6 II, R7. All worth looking at, and the prices are all less than an A9.
They all have fast FPS and the latest AF tracking, and all work with legacy lenses, plus the 100 500 RF, which is a great lens
Have you used the 100-500?

Have you used the 100-500?
I had a play on a mates R7, it's a nice lens, and the camera is very good too. As it's an APSC sensor you have that extra reach factor. He's getting great results.

I had a play on a mates R7, it's a nice lens, and the camera is very good too. As it's an APSC sensor you have that extra reach factor. He's getting great results.
Yep I played with 100-500 I was unimpressed, its seems like a cheap compromise and feels the same, and apsc is not for me

New in Marketplace

Back