Sdawes

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am planning to do try and do more Landscape photography this year whilst out and about but I am seeking advice on what if any filters I will have to purchase , types of filter holder , manufacturers etc as it looks to be a bit of a minefield . Are the y srtictly necessary or can decent PP achieve the same outcome ?. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated as I dont want to go and start buying kit only to find it is not compatible with my wide angle lenses ie 24-70mm and 20mm

ND filters will help in a lot of circumstances, and a polarizer will help with improved contrast and glare, but when it comes to open skies you can't beat graduated ND filters. The soft edge is best for landscapes as they'll work in most situations.

I had a frame system by Format Hitech that was very nice, but found it a bit cumbersome when on the fly. If you plan to set up and take your time the frame would be the most versatile to use because stacking is simple. Cokin was always the king 'back in the day', but Format makes a nice system too. NiSi, Fotodiox, Tiffin, etc., and I'm sure there are others. I think nowadays with computer design and manufacturing you would want to pay more attention to price point across brands than worry about differences between the major manufacturers.

Anytime you add filters you run the risk of vignetting, and especially so when you stack. Frame systems are less prone than thread-on style because they're generally oversized and made for stacking. You can also buy thread-on filters larger than you need and use a step-up ring to get some additional clear space.

They are not necessary.

My suggestion is that you do landscape for a while before you decide in getting a filter set (1 exception to this). You really do need to learn what it is that you like to shoot in terms of landscape before you can figure out if spending on filters will be worth it or if what you can do in post or with bracketing will be enough. The one exception would be a polarizer (a CPL) as this cannot be replicated in post or with any camera setting.

I personally own 2 filters, a CPL and a variable ND (which I got as a gift). The CPL I use not just for landscape but also at times for wildlife as the 24-105G and 100-400GM share the same filter tread. The ND only gets used when I am looking do that smoothing out of water effect.

The only filter I use is a polarizing filter. Unless you are using either the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapters which have their own beam splitter and AF sensor, Sony's mirrorless cameras don't need a circular polarizing filter (CPL) because the CPL is only needed when there's a beam splitter in the optical path. A linear polarizing filter will do just fine.

If I wanted to make long exposures in bright daylight I'd also keep a neutral density filter handy.

I have the Circular Polariser, ND100 and ND1000 filters. Circular polariser I use on pretty much every decent water shot I do, the difference in glare on the water is just crazy. Also if I'm at a garden or something in the middle of the day, I'll just throw the polariser on and adjust it for each shot.

The ND1000 I haven't used in donkey's years, I think if there's that much light available then the image will just be too destroyed to save anyway.

The ND100 is used here and there but I find light to be low in rainforests in general, and water scenes need minimal glare regardless in order to look good anyway. Even when there is a bit of light I will just run the ISO down to 50 and close the aperture down a little just with the polariser on and it will almost always be enough to get the job done.

I use Kenko. I find them to be very good. I have 82mm and 72mm Kenko Celeste C-Pol's. Then I have 72-82mm stepper rings. I have the ND filters in 82mm and just use the stepper rings for my two smaller lenses for the odd time I need them. If I know I'll be using the polariser on an outing I'll take both sizes to minimise time screwing different things onto the lenses, but if I'm not sure what I'll be shooting I just throw an ND100 in with an 82mm polariser and a stepper ring then I'm all good no matter what. 🌞
I assume the circular filters screw directly into the lens and if so also assume you are limited to a single choice of filter ie CP or ND and are there situations where ideally you would need both ?

The only filter I use is a polarizing filter. Unless you are using either the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapters which have their own beam splitter and AF sensor, Sony's mirrorless cameras don't need a circular polarizing filter (CPL) because the CPL is only needed when there's a beam splitter in the optical path. A linear polarizing filter will do just fine.

If I wanted to make long exposures in bright daylight I'd also keep a neutral density filter handy.
Sorry Doug , as a complete novice on filters am I understanding you correct in that the circular screw in filters will not work in Sony lenses ?

I assume the circular filters screw directly into the lens and if so also assume you are limited to a single choice of filter ie CP or ND and are there situations where ideally you would need both ?
The majority (probably all) polarizers will allow for other filters to be attached onto them. Most ND filters will also allow for others to be attached. There are screw-on versions and there are also magnetic versions.

Again don't feel that you need filters.

Sorry Doug , as a complete novice on filters am I understanding you correct in that the circular screw in filters will not work in Sony lenses ?
Most lenses will allow for screw on filters. Lenses like the 14GM, 12-24G/GM and 50 macro do not and others like the 600GM use drop-in filters. Lenses that allow either screw-on or a filter holder will have a "filter thread" size listed on the spec sheet.

Last edited:
They'll work fine. Unlike the DSLR era, those of us using mirrorless cameras can use either linear or circular polarizing filters, with the exception of using A-mount lenses with the LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 adapters.

I got some ND filters to take those nice waterfall pictures and did it …. once. I bought the cheap kind and don’t feel bad since I might use it again. No filters for me, again.

I got some ND filters to take those nice waterfall pictures and did it …. once. I bought the cheap kind and don’t feel bad since I might use it again. No filters for me, again.
I do use my polarizing filter enough to justify the purchase. The ND filter my father got me as a gift is very nice but I've used it a handful of times over the 2 years I've had it. I would like to use it more but I find so few situations in which it would be useful.

I'm in a similar position: I have an unopened ND1000 on my desk, just staring at me right now. I've used the VND a handfull of times, it now collects dust. If I bought a graduated ND filter kit for sunrise/sunset, I'd probably try it once and probably not use it regularly or at all.

The CPL, however, has gotten the most use. Even if I feel like I don't know what I'm doing half the time, I'm committed to learning how to use it.

I'm in a similar position: I have an unopened ND1000 on my desk, just staring at me right now. I've used the VND a handfull of times, it now collects dust. If I bought a graduated ND filter kit for sunrise/sunset, I'd probably try it once and probably not use it regularly or at all.

The CPL, however, has gotten the most use. Even if I feel like I don't know what I'm doing half the time, I'm committed to learning how to use it.
CPL is about the only one I use regularly as well, and rarely even used them until recently. Seems like I had one on all the time in the film era.

Learning to us a CPL is pretty easy, rotate it until you get the best image. You're usually trying to get rid of glare or increase contrast, so just rotate until it looks good.

Back