Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Focus Settings A7R IV + 200-600

TerryL

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Terry
Country
United States
City/State
Virginia
Hello,
I’m trying to shoot birds for the first time. I have bird feeders set up in my backyard and shoot from my deck. I want shots with birds on the feeder and as they fly away. My first attempt ended up with very blurry birds at 2000 shutter speed. How should I have my focus set up? Thank you for your help.
Terry

Solution
Hi Dave, do you like your Gitzo gimbal? Which is better between Gitzo or Wimberley?|
They're both for different purposes, a traditional gimbal has no real use on a monopod. That's where something like the Wimberley comes in, I quite like it for fast subjects like BIf's. Slower things like hares, I'd just go with the monopod. If I'm seated in a hide or on the tailgate of the car, handheld.

The 200-600 is pretty well always handheld.
APS-C mode will help with tracking birds in flight like if you are going for birds in an opening field. What you are trying to do I am not sure how it would work, I've never tried to get birds leaving a feeder, usually coming into a feeder would be better. For what you are doing I would probably use the Expand Flexible Spot with Tracking. That said I personally don't like feeders in my shots so I would be looking for a perch somewhere without the feeder in the shot.

What would those strange ideas be?

True and true.

To Loke: Best to start with larger birds like geese and gulls then move onto smaller ones. Don't be surprised if you have a keeper rate of 10% or less (just because it is in focus doesn't make it a keeper). When you are practicing also try using different metering modes and changing your auto ISO range.
I’m handicap and restricted to my 1.5 acre yard with plenty of Red Oak trees.

Thank you Richard. I’ll do just that. I’m trying to figure out if I have a sharp copy now. I’m also trying to figure out what gimbal to use. I have a great tripod. What gimbal are you using?
Terry
I've never used a gimbal! And I haven't even put the 50-400 on a tripod yet. Have just hand held it. It hasn't had a great amount of use yet though.

Also, regarding your prints, do you print them yourself at home or do you get them printed by a lab?

I use a gimbal with the 600 f4 if I'm moving about. Gives me something to lean on when I get tired. Never felt the need with the 200 - 600.

My settings are very similar to Kev's except I do use oss. I have done crude experiments with and without it at high shutter speeds and cannot see any improvement without. I do still try it now and again, but then risk forgetting I've turned it off and missing a shot next time I use the lens. I also don't go as fast as Kev unless the light is very strong. That can be explained by the fact that I don't do any post processing and therefore need to keep my iso as low as possible. I do not use tracking, and only small centre spot.

I use a gimbal with the 600 f4 if I'm moving about. Gives me something to lean on when I get tired. Never felt the need with the 200 - 600.
What do you use? I have never even thought about using one.

I've never used a gimbal! And I haven't even put the 50-400 on a tripod yet. Have just hand held it. It hasn't had a great amount of use yet though.

Also, regarding your prints, do you print them yourself at home or do you get them printed by a lab?
I use a print company owned by Adorama. Printque

My settings are very similar to Kev's except I do use oss. I have done crude experiments with and without it at high shutter speeds and cannot see any improvement without. I do still try it now and again, but then risk forgetting I've turned it off and missing a shot next time I use the lens. I also don't go as fast as Kev unless the light is very strong. That can be explained by the fact that I don't do any post processing and therefore need to keep my iso as low as possible. I do not use tracking, and only small centre spot.
Hi Dave, do you like your Gitzo gimbal? Which is better between Gitzo or Wimberley?|

Last edited:
I print all my own stuff. I haven’t done a lot of printing the last couple of years but I just bought a heap of new paper. Have been doing some b&w’s. I have an Epson photo 2880 which is getting on a bit. It still works really well but inks are becoming a bit hard to get now unfortunately.

I print all my own stuff. I haven’t done a lot of printing the last couple of years but I just bought a heap of new paper. Have been doing some b&w’s. I have an Epson photo 2880 which is getting on a bit. It still works really well but inks are becoming a bit hard to get now unfortunately.
I’ve done that. A fill up with ink was the same cost of the printer with ink included. That thing was massive. I wasn’t really enjoying it so I sold it.

I like your settings. They are close to what I’m using. I do use afc. My biggest challenge is to get the birds off the feeder and into a more natural setting. What I’m doing now is good practice and getting use to working with such a heavy lens.

They're both for different purposes, a traditional gimbal has no real use on a monopod. That's where something like the Wimberley comes in, I quite like it for fast subjects like BIf's. Slower things like hares, I'd just go with the monopod. If I'm seated in a hide or on the tailgate of the car, handheld.

The 200-600 is pretty well always handheld.

Solution

New in Marketplace

Back