W84Me

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Aron
I just got a Sony A7R IV few days ago as a Christmas gift for myself. I migrated from Nikon D850 which is a fantastic camera but heavy particularly after you put some good glass on it.

As a new kid on the block, I have to learn this extremely high resolution camera but one of the features that is popularly missing is "focus stacking" (that is inherent in Nikon D850). So out of a need exploration, I decided to pursue this today in A7R IV. This was done using a wired remote but shifting the focus points to my liking on the subject. Aperture is f8 in aperture priority mode. Everything remained in auto focus mode.

I have read about using the RMT-P1BT for accomplishing this task but just to inform other users, you don't need that shutter release costing much more. A wired remote that is around $10 can do the job just as well if not better because you control every element of the focus stacking. I find it better than Nikon -- in terms of result and process that took about a minute.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Stacked image.jpg
    Stacked image.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 133
I just got a Sony A7R IV few days ago as a Christmas gift for myself. I migrated from Nikon D850 which is a fantastic camera but heavy particularly after you put some good glass on it.

As a new kid on the block, I have to learn this extremely high resolution camera but one of the features that is popularly missing is "focus stacking" (that is inherent in Nikon D850). So out of a need exploration, I decided to pursue this today in A7R IV. This was done using a wired remote but shifting the focus points to my liking on the subject. Aperture is f8 in aperture priority mode. Everything remained in auto focus mode.

I have read about using the RMT-P1BT for accomplishing this task but just to inform other users, you don't need that shutter release costing much more. A wired remote that is around $10 can do the job just as well if not better because you control every element of the focus stacking. I find it better than Nikon -- in terms of result and process that took about a minute.

Cheers!
Great image..
When you say “shifting the focus point” are you moving it manually with the little joystick on the camera and then triggering the camera with wired remote..

Back