Sony A7C Ghosting

tardegard

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
tardegard
Hi all,
is this kind of flare around the lights normal?
it is visible on the left of the frame and on the small light bulbs too.
I shot this sample with a manual voigltlander 28mm 1.9 full aperture, 1/30 and I guess this weird behavior is from the sensor as it happens with all of my lenses. I remember my old sony a7 had a similar strange thing with lights at night, called blob.
Is it the same thing maybe?

CHE03414.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • ----
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 4000

Flare is something almost impossibe to avaoid, it's really down to the optics, some lenses are better at controlling it than others.

What's odd about this is that it's localized. The lights at the top left are exhibiting it, and the lights right-center. But the lights left-center aren't. There are two lights right in the center that aren't showing flare, but those right next to them are. This almost looks like greasy smudges on the lens, or possibly something on the sensor. I know you said the camera does it with all lenses, but maybe do some testing with a tripod and see if it repeats in the same place every time. If so, maybe a sensor cleaning is in order.

What's odd about this is that it's localized. The lights at the top left are exhibiting it, and the lights right-center. But the lights left-center aren't. There are two lights right in the center that aren't showing flare, but those right next to them are. This almost looks like greasy smudges on the lens, or possibly something on the sensor. I know you said the camera does it with all lenses, but maybe do some testing with a tripod and see if it repeats in the same place every time. If so, maybe a sensor cleaning is in order.

ok, thanks

Bottom line, no, ghosting is not normal, and if you are seeing this with all your lenses there is something amiss..... I cannot speak to the specifics of voigtlander but at f1. 9 and shutter of 1/30 this shutter setting seems low for bright lights unless you are shooting related light trails etc.

Even so suggest you check the ratings of your lenses for flare diagnostics and in the absence of the improbable finding all your lenses have wide open direct light flaring limitations you need to address your shooting settings, tripod stability as well as any lens or sensor cleanliness issues.......

Back