Greetings from Sunny Ventura California! (the city the new Mac OS is named after)

rgarven

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Robert W. Garven Jr.
Country
United States
City/State
Ventura, California
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello my name is Rob I'm a drummer in a heavy metal band from Ventura California. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWdkccqgajA

I've been an amateur photographer my whole life, and had a series of the Canon G series cameras. A while back I upgraded to a Sony a 6300. I was always hoping that someone would build a camera that was easy to carry around that had a full frame sensor that wasn't $8000! Ha Anyway I gave up on that, and I just got the A7 IV. I get the DP review email newsletter and they suggested this model, and I got a couple of the lenses they suggested also; Sony FE 24-105 F4 Zoom, FE 35mm F1.8 Prime Lens, Samyang AF 35/2.8 FE Prime. I always liked having a camera I could carry around easily and recently on my travels I've just been using my iPhone 12 which is actually taking some pretty amazing pictures but I still yearned for a full frame sensor. So now all of you have to hold my hand and provide advice, counseling and detailed instructions. I know that's more than you all signed up for, but here I am and I'm hoping to get some good advice and comaradeire from all of you experts! I got a Caden backpack, but now I'm trying to figure out a neck strap or wrist strap that is comfortable and safe and easy to disconnect, and decipher the new supposedly easier Sony menu! HAAA Here are a few of some of my better shots from the past, and these were from some smaller sensors!!! Hoping I can figure out how to use this thing and get the opportunity to take some more beautiful pictures!

Thanks for listening, and for any help that you will give me in advance!
Rob Garven

GT4 Villanova Sunny 2 IMG_3646.JPG
  • Canon PowerShot A650 IS
  • 7.4 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 80
Halfdome1838.JPG
  • Canon PowerShot A80
  • 23.4 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
Horse Cloud.JPG
  • 9.9 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 80
lake tahoe 02-07.jpg
  • Canon PowerShot A80
  • 7.8 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/500 sec
IMG_1399.JPG
  • 44.4 mm
  • ƒ/4.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 80
Wheelers Gorge Waterfall 2 IMG_1119.JPG
  • 22.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 200
Green Sand Beach 7583.JPG
  • 7.4 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 80
zaca 3d.jpg

Welcome Rob.
I'm surprised you didn't go with the A7C as an upgrade from the a6300, full frame sensor in a near APSC body. Regardless, the A7IV is superior, so kudos to you.
For camera strap that is "comfortable and safe and easy to disconnect" look no further than the Peak Design Slide: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide
I have the Slide Lite for my a6400 and its been great.

Chris thank you for your reply! I think the reason I didn't buy the a 7C was because I didn't even know about it! ha See how much I need to be on this forum. I almost bought one of those Peak camera straps but some guy said that he thought those quick connectors weren't safe and he dropped one of his fancy cameras. I know reading online reviews takes more critical thinking then most of us process but I try to read between the lines. I'd be interested to hear how long you've had that strap, how much you carried on it for how long, and how it held up? Have you ever tried one of those wrist straps I'm not sure how it would feel in real life but last night I was mainly holding it by the grip?

You win the award to be my first friend on here so thank you. I know you're a good human because you have the T-shirt! ha

Your new pal,

Rob

Last edited:
Its a good forum, some knowledgeable people here. I'm not experienced with the full frame sensors, so if you have technical questions on that, there will be others to chime in.

I had a slide lite for 2 years and gave it to a cousin because she was getting into photography and the strap was still like new. I have had my current strap for maybe 10 months and it still works well. I normally have the a6400 equipped with a 17-70 f2.8 lens, maybe the same weight as your camera and a prime lens? Not sure. I've had this thing slung around my neck at weddings, parties, and touring around the UK for 2 weeks back in April.

I did not like the wrist strap, peak design sells it as a "cuff". I thought it got in my way, but that could be personal preference. There is something they sell called a "clutch" which doesn't snap off like the other accessories and it envelopes your hand as you hold the camera by the grip. The clutch is better suited for a thick full-frame camera grip like yours rather than my slimmer grip APSC. You might want to check it out.

Forgot to mention, I used to live in SOCAL: 5 yrs in downtown LA. Love California, just can't afford to live there lol!

Back