Name
Alan Clark
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Liverpool
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am an amateur photographer, mainly interested in nature, garden and infrared photography, and also astrophotography.

I have been using Canon SLRs, but I recently decided to buy a Sony A7R iii and the 90mm macro lens.

The biggest reason for my decision is that I like to do focus stacking of macro shots, usually taking a sequence of photos in burst mode. The problem with SLRs is that the viewfinder gives a very flickery view, which makes it difficult to see what is happening. My Sony does not black-out at the fastest frame-rate, and at lower rates the cut-out is not as unpleasant. Of course, Canon also do mirrorless, but I wear glasses, and Canon mirrorless cameras are very difficult to use in strong sunlight. I have no difficulty seeing the viewfinder with my Sony. I was also impressed by reviews of the 90mm macro lens, especially its optical quality. My only regret is that Canon will soon have a 1.4x macro lens, which would be very nice to have. Image stabilisation is another added benefit from changing to mirrorless.

I will continue to use my Canon for non-macro, but now I will not have to make frequent lens changes whenever I do macro, which will save a lot of messing about.

Here is my Flickr site:

Welcome and thank you for joining up here Alan. The 90mm Macro is one of my favourite Sony lenses too. I've let quite a few other lenses go over the years but not this one. Cracking shots on Flickr!

Back