Hello

Elizabeth

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Elizabeth A Wilfong
Happy to find this forum. I switched from Nikon d750 to Sony a6600 primarily for the stabilization of the a6600. I had a 70-200 2.8 Tamron on my Nikon that took great photos, even on a sailboat in the San Diego Bay. I loved the two together, unfortunately, it was huge and heavy. Broke my heart to trade it away. One thing I do not like about the a6600 is I can not figure out how to uncouple the ISO from Exposure compensation? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. Happy Shooting!

Welcome!
Tell me about your exposure compensation issue. What mode are you shooting in?
I actually don't mess with exposure compensation, but I plan to use it this weekend in combination with aperture priority. Maybe we can learn this thing together!
I'm covering a kid's birthday party on Saturday and the lighting is tricky for me. The venue is a public park where they use one of those large gazebos which provides lots of shade while its blindingly bright outside. I had to edit the exposure and bring up the shadows a lot in post, so I'm hoping exposure compensation will help me brighten up things. Also, I usually leave my ISO in auto, but limit it to 3200 or 4000.

So I was just messing around with Aperture Priority mode and did the following:
  • Set Aperture (4.0)
  • Set ISO (2500 for a dim room)
  • Set Exp Comp to 0
  • Take picture
  • Set Exp Comp to +1
  • Take another picture
  • Compare results
As expected, the only difference between the two pictures (aside from the second one being brighter) was that the camera managed the exposure time, going from 1/40 to 1/15. I will have to be careful of that this weekend when I'm taking pictures of moving kids at the party.

However, that leads me to question @Elizabeth were you taking photos in full auto mode? or were you just leaving the ISO in Auto?

Happy to find this forum. I switched from Nikon d750 to Sony a6600 primarily for the stabilization of the a6600. I had a 70-200 2.8 Tamron on my Nikon that took great photos, even on a sailboat in the San Diego Bay. I loved the two together, unfortunately, it was huge and heavy. Broke my heart to trade it away. One thing I do not like about the a6600 is I can not figure out how to uncouple the ISO from Exposure compensation? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. Happy Shooting!
Welcome Elizabeth and thank you for joining up here. Like Chris mentioned if you can tell us which mode you are shooting in we might be able to help. If you have auto ISO set and change the exposure compensation then this will change the ISO, if you fix the ISO then this shouldn't change.

Back