Sony A1 How to Turn Off Movie Button in Sony A1?

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
Just got my A1 today and I'm having some difficulty with the new menu structure -- sheesh, people complained about the old one, but to me this one is much worse!! True, the camera itself is more complex and has more functionality and features but still..... Yeah, the new menu isn't helping, it is confusing, or at least to me!

Anyway, my question, as stated in the title, is how the heck can I simply turn off the Movie Rec button so that when I accidentally hit it I won't start recording a movie? In the A7R IV this seemed to be a fairly straightforward and easy fix to find and do, but I'm fumbling all over the place with the menu in the A1.

Is it no longer possible to use what was called "Movie Mode Only" for turning off the red movie button?

Last edited:
On the customize buttons page you just assign it a new function (Or none)

Solution
THANK YOU!!!! Geeze, why didn't I think of that?! I got myself all in a frenzy over that stupid button and then finally calmed down and finished setting up the new camera, although I've still probably got a couple of tweaks to make as I begin using the camera more and more. I remember seeing the customize buttons page but at the time was more interested in getting the basics set up first rather than getting into customizing my buttons, and it never occurred to me that therein lies the answer to my dilemma, too! Bingo! Many thanks!

The A1 is extremely customisable. It takes a while to get used to how much you can customise it.

Just one tip: if you like a setup, save it to an SD card! I chose a card that I don't use because it's too small to be useful (16GB!), and I marked it with a red marker, and I save setups on there. Don't use a regular card because you'll lose your setups when you format it. I should probably buy a couple more, so I have backups :cool:

Again, many thanks! Yesterday I went into the Customize Buttons page and took care of that pesky red movie button by making it "not set," so that's that! I am still tweaking basic settings a bit and then will get back into the Customize buttons page in order to set up C1, C2, etc., for specific functions I want to be able to quickly perform. Somehow I never got around to doing that with the A7R IV -- no time like the present to set up both cameras appropriately!

Thanks for the tip about saving my setups to an SD card -- I've got plenty of smaller ones that I'm not using any more that would suit this purpose very nicely. Gee, I remember the days when I thought a 16GB SD card would be plenty of space, with room to spare..... LOL!

Some ideas (that I have tried to live with) of alternative functions to assign to the rec button:
1) toggling face/eye recognition on/off. If does extend battery life significantly on the A1 not having this algorithm running when you are not photographing people/pets/birds. It has helped extending my surf sessions, it is helpful to have it at a distance of a button press when a surfer is about to enter the waters and I can use face AF for a few shots.
2) changing the focus area. Disliked having it there because had to press multiple times if I wanted to return to the previous focus area. This works best assigned to the biderectional fast big rotary dial on the back.

Again, many thanks! Yesterday I went into the Customize Buttons page and took care of that pesky red movie button by making it "not set," so that's that! I am still tweaking basic settings a bit and then will get back into the Customize buttons page in order to set up C1, C2, etc., for specific functions I want to be able to quickly perform. Somehow I never got around to doing that with the A7R IV -- no time like the present to set up both cameras appropriately!

Thanks for the tip about saving my setups to an SD card -- I've got plenty of smaller ones that I'm not using any more that would suit this purpose very nicely. Gee, I remember the days when I thought a 16GB SD card would be plenty of space, with room to spare..... LOL!
I know what you mean. I have a bunch of 16GB CF cards lying around. I think my first memory card was a 8MB (yes, megabyte!) CF card that came with a Canon Ixus (which shot 2megapixel JPEGs).

Some ideas (that I have tried to live with) of alternative functions to assign to the rec button:
1) toggling face/eye recognition on/off. If does extend battery life significantly on the A1 not having this algorithm running when you are not photographing people/pets/birds. It has helped extending my surf sessions, it is helpful to have it at a distance of a button press when a surfer is about to enter the waters and I can use face AF for a few shots.
2) changing the focus area. Disliked having it there because had to press multiple times if I wanted to return to the previous focus area. This works best assigned to the biderectional fast big rotary dial on the back.
I just reduced the AF areas available for display and assigned C2 to toggle through them.
And assigned Movie to a cluster of settings for BIF including AF-on.

Back