Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
.... in my London back garden. Mr Fox is sleeping the night before off, .....
sleeping fox-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 144.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 2500

....Miss Blackbird is chirping away, looking for Mr Right,
female_blackbird-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 16000

.....and Master Squirrel is exposing himself!
squirrel_exposing-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 2500

Last edited:
Just a friendly question for you Ed why are so many of your recent images shot a f/22? and do you shoot in aperture priority, or manual? :)

And such high ISO? You're using two settings that will have a negative effect on your image quality. F22 is going to make the image soft due to diffraction, and ISO 16000 is noisy. There are a half dozen other settings with the exact same exposure you could use.

We are actually trying to help if you want it Ed?
No problems guys, advice always most welcome - that's one of the things I really like about this group, always great advice. These were three shots in rapid succession from my upper floor window. For the fox, I've noted that to get him all in focus, especially when he is stretched out, including his immediate surroundings, I need f11 or smaller, so I had lens on f22. Unfortunately, it was a little overcast and not much light. I had the camera set in Aperture priority mode and so the ISO came out way higher than I wanted. The Blackbird and squirrel turned up at just as I snapped my first shot of the fox, so I turned to get them - they were in an even darker part of the garden, so the ISO went much higher. I didn't have time to adjust the settings as they were there one second and gone the next. When I went back to shot Mr Fox again, he was alert to the goings on and had his eyes wide open, which kinda detracted from my shot. I normally shoot in either A or M mode, M mode when I have time to compose the shot. I'm too slow to shoot in M mode for wildlife as I'm not sufficiently experienced to rapidly set up the shot, I guess that comes with practice.

Back