Lens cleaning experiences

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Jeff A

Well Known
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
When I purchased my new a7III I received a Sensei cleaning kit with it, which I have been using. When a lens needs to be cleaned, I first brush the lens with the soft retractable brush that came with the kit. After that, I open a foil wrapped Sensei Pre-Moistened Lens Wipe and clean the lens with that. It seems to do a good job but while recently reading reviews of Lens Wipes, some people have asked if the Wipes contain alcohol. The product I have been using does contain alcohol and this does not seem popular with some folks.

My question is, what procedures and products do the folks here not only find effective, but does not harm the lens in any way? These procedures are simple, I know, but there is a possibility to do harm to some expensive equipment if not done correctly or if the wrong product is used.

Kevriano

Expert
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
I've always just used a blower and a brush, unless I have a stubborn water spot on the front element, when I will use a wet spectacles wipe. That's it though, and that has served me well.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I worked with opticians for almost 2 years (in their IT dept). They told me that the worst things to use on lenses (especially coated ones) are windex (and anything with ammonia), t-shirts (any clothing really because of dust and LINT on the fibers), and certain paper towels. They were big on microfiber cloths and the premoistened lens wipes instead. Surprisingly they were ok with very diluted alcohol.
I go in with the blower regularly but rarely use the wet wipes. Sometimes I see the spots in post production and have to use Photoshop's excellent spot healing tool 😅

pointreyes

Novice
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 7, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
If a blower or brush does not work then I move on to using Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes (carry a few packets with my gear). If the wipes don't work then when I get home I use for last resort Formula MC. Always use lens cloth for removing/drying the cleaner.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.