Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
When I purchased my new a7III I received a Sensei cleaning kit with it, which I have been using. When a lens needs to be cleaned, I first brush the lens with the soft retractable brush that came with the kit. After that, I open a foil wrapped Sensei Pre-Moistened Lens Wipe and clean the lens with that. It seems to do a good job but while recently reading reviews of Lens Wipes, some people have asked if the Wipes contain alcohol. The product I have been using does contain alcohol and this does not seem popular with some folks.

My question is, what procedures and products do the folks here not only find effective, but does not harm the lens in any way? These procedures are simple, I know, but there is a possibility to do harm to some expensive equipment if not done correctly or if the wrong product is used.

I've always just used a blower and a brush, unless I have a stubborn water spot on the front element, when I will use a wet spectacles wipe. That's it though, and that has served me well.

I worked with opticians for almost 2 years (in their IT dept). They told me that the worst things to use on lenses (especially coated ones) are windex (and anything with ammonia), t-shirts (any clothing really because of dust and LINT on the fibers), and certain paper towels. They were big on microfiber cloths and the premoistened lens wipes instead. Surprisingly they were ok with very diluted alcohol.
I go in with the blower regularly but rarely use the wet wipes. Sometimes I see the spots in post production and have to use Photoshop's excellent spot healing tool 😅

If a blower or brush does not work then I move on to using Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes (carry a few packets with my gear). If the wipes don't work then when I get home I use for last resort Formula MC. Always use lens cloth for removing/drying the cleaner.

Back