Mark Galer is not the master :D

Ban all comments that mention Mark Galer?

• Yes, he's paid by Sony to say good things and his settings are not the be all and end all.

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No, he is god.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Kevriano

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Just for laughs/fun (Maybe :D)
I have created a poll. Should all references to Mark Galer be banned?
Personally, I think yes, He is a paid Sony employee, and to be honest, I don't think his settings are the best or even the best guide. The best settings are what you get results with from learning the camera and techniques, and the best way to do that is to start from scratch and work it out. What works for one, does not work for another and you can end up down a rabbit hole, but as it seems there are several people who seem to worship him I created the poll to gauge opinion, and to have a laugh.

hes all right like anything or anybody if they have some thing useful to me then i process it and use it ,if not it ends up in the bin , his genre is not best suited to all types of photography ,he takes a good picture though ,he is more event documentry travel ,he is not a landscape ,sports ,wildlife/macro ,or studio photographer there are better photographers who have a better insight ,thing is you never get his full assumptions unless your a paetron member and that requires a fox hole .

I don't think anything should be banned. I think everyone should be able to have an opinion then others can judge whether they wish to agree with it or not. This goes for anything so long as all information from all parties have been given the same opportunity of exposure, then most people will obviously lean towards the thing that makes the most sense.

You will always have wolves and sheep. Sheep will always want something or someone to look up to. As sad as it is, it is what it is...

I think it was one of his videos that brought DxO under my attention for which I'm grateful as I use the deepprime as a first step in editing.

Other than that, I have seen his settings videos and I like the explanations of all the options but I do not use his settings as they don't seem to work that well for me (have tried them and learned from it).

I agree with Clint, there should be no ban as long as it contributes to the discussions. Everyone can decide for themselves whether they agree with Mark Galors opinions or not.

His photos are great, and I like that he literally uses every body and every lens Sony has to offer.

I don't think anything should be banned. I think everyone should be able to have an opinion then others can judge whether they wish to agree with it or not. This goes for anything so long as all information from all parties have been given the same opportunity of exposure, then most people will obviously lean towards the thing that makes the most sense.

You will always have wolves and sheep. Sheep will always want something or someone to look up to. As sad as it is, it is what it is...
Well not things like this, but there are some things including all mentions of not using a hood :D :D

Well maybe he shouldn't be banned, just those who mention him! :ROFLMAO:

I tried to use his settings on the A7RIII for action and they're garbage, not even usable. I did my own. He's a decent photographer, but not all that great with his settings and instructions, and I pretty much told him that in a post exchange between him and I on SAR.

Beginners use his settings and think they've found nirvana because they have no barometer, nothing to compare it to. It gets them up and running with a new camera. If all you do is upload his setting and use them forever, may as well just leave the camera in Auto. Those who choose to pursue their own settings will find better, the problem is there's no instant gratification.

His photos are great, and I like that he literally uses every body and every lens Sony has to offer.
He's a Sony ambassador, he's paid. He gets his stuff for free.

I tried to use his settings on the A7RIII for action and they're garbage, not even usable. I did my own. He's a decent photographer, but not all that great with his settings and instructions, and I pretty much told him that in a post exchange between him and I on SAR.

Beginners use his settings and think they've found nirvana because they have no barometer, nothing to compare it to. It gets them up and running with a new camera. If all you do is upload his setting and use them forever, may as well just leave the camera in Auto. Those who choose to pursue their own settings will find better, the problem is there's no instant gratification.

I did put all references too

The forum, or the opinions of its supporters/members is not the final word
in photography. To operate a system of banning mention of photography
industry professionals, good or bad in the eyes of some , denies existing and/or
new supporters, members, guests and newbies a source of knowledge from
which to form their own opinion. One of the fundamental principles of the
forum is surely to provide unrestricted knowledge discussion, and debate
on photography matters.

Banning mention of any well known industry photographer is a very dark
road to take, and not in the best interests of the Forum in my opinion...

Joking about banning people's right to freedom of expression through the mechanism of such a ridiculous
public domain Poll is beyond belief ....it may entertain some and/or be beyond the reach of those who are
cerebrally challenged or fools but for clear minded individuals such ideas are nonsense.

"He's a Sony ambassador, he's paid. He gets his stuff for free."
He is able to test new equipment which Sony provides. He then returns it. The cameras he owns he buys, although he probably gets a discount from Sony Australia, but then I don't know. One other thing , he does own and use some lenses from other manufacturers.

Well not things like this, but there are some things including all mentions of not using a hood :D :D

The only inflammatory speech which should be banned is the recommendation of using a lens hood! You should simply not be allowed to coax people into such destructive behaviour... 🤠

Joking about banning people's right to freedom of expression through the mechanism of such a ridiculous
public domain Poll is beyond belief ....it may entertain some and/or be beyond the reach of those who are
cerebrally challenged or fools but for clear minded individuals such ideas are nonsense.
Wow, just wow.

At least you can be helped Clint,

So just to clarify. Are you saying there are some who are beyond help? Even Marky Mark can't fix them..? But I thought Master Marky can fix everything! 😉

He is able to test new equipment which Sony provides. He then returns it. The cameras he owns he buys, although he probably gets a discount from Sony Australia, but then I don't know. One other thing , he does own and use some lenses from other manufacturers.
Don't believe everything you hear. A friend I shoot next to out at the track is using the fabled but not yet released Canon R1 disguised in an R3 body. He has stuff Canon has given him over the years that you can't even imagine. Everything he tries out he gets to keep, and what's more they fix things for him for free, even obsolete lenses. And he's not an ambassador or anyone they gain PR through. Guys like him and Galer have things knocked when it comes to gear.

I'll just interpret this poll as a bit of fun. No references to Mark Galer will be banned regardless of the results. As for my own opinion. He's obviously a very talented photographer and has created hundreds of excellent resources to help educate Sony Shooters about their cameras, photography and editing. Whether one simply chooses to load his settings or follow his guides and configure everything from scratch is up to that person to decide, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have options here. I doubt Mark would ever jeopardise his reputation by creating false statements about the Sony gear he reviews, and he would soon be called out if he did as he's not the only reviewer. My only criticism is that a lot of the images he posts are often heavily edited and the majority of people are never going to see images like that out of the camera, so I always take them with a large pinch of salt.

I'll just interpret this poll as a bit of fun. No references to Mark Galer will be banned regardless of the results. As for my own opinion. He's obviously a very talented photographer and has created hundreds of excellent resources to help educate Sony Shooters about their cameras, photography and editing. Whether one simply chooses to load his settings or follow his guides and configure everything from scratch is up to that person to decide, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have options here. I doubt Mark would ever jeopardise his reputation by creating false statements about the Sony gear he reviews, and he would soon be called out if he did as he's not the only reviewer. My only criticism is that a lot of the images he posts are often heavily edited and the majority of people are never going to see images like that out of the camera, so I always take them with a large pinch of salt.

We're serious about banning lens hoods though aren't we mate..? 😕

We're serious about banning lens hoods though aren't we mate..? 😕
Hard to know when you’re bullshitting and when you’re not. Please explain for me why you are so against lens hoods. (I’ve always used one for protection against flare and that bit of extra buffer on the front lens element). Have never been aware of it causing a problem.

Hard to know when you’re bullshitting and when you’re not. Please explain for me why you are so against lens hoods. (I’ve always used one for protection against flare and that bit of extra buffer on the front lens element). Have never been aware of it causing a problem.

I probably should start writing at the end of my posts when I'm joking and when I'm being serious. As I guess I do joke a lot, and I also get worked up a lot... 😄

I actually truly do believe that a lens hood is almost entirely useless except for the odd occasion depending on which lens and what angle the sun is at, but I don't encounter issues whatsoever with the current lenses that I have so i can't see why I need extra bulk when there's no benefit.

I do also understand that most people do believe they're of benefit so I guess I just rant on about it to cause a bit of banter on the forum. I couldn't care if someone uses a lens hood, uses a neck strap, a monopod whatever, I'll sh*t stir about it but if you're out taking photos doing something constructive instead of sitting on the lounge being brainwashed by the television programming then you definitely have my vote.

I apologise, I guess I am probably a bit hard to read sometimes. 🙂

It started out as a debate over the need for protective filters and/or lens hoods to protect your front element, and it's turned into a running gag.

I probably should start writing at the end of my posts when I'm joking and when I'm being serious. As I guess I do joke a lot, and I also get worked up a lot... 😄

I actually truly do believe that a lens hood is almost entirely useless except for the odd occasion depending on which lens and what angle the sun is at, but I don't encounter issues whatsoever with the current lenses that I have so i can't see why I need extra bulk when there's no benefit.

I do also understand that most people do believe they're of benefit so I guess I just rant on about it to cause a bit of banter on the forum. I couldn't care if someone uses a lens hood, uses a neck strap, a monopod whatever, I'll sh*t stir about it but if you're out taking photos doing something constructive instead of sitting on the lounge being brainwashed by the television programming then you definitely have my vote.

I apologise, I guess I am probably a bit hard to read sometimes. 🙂
Those of us who are here regularly and participate in the forum have a good time with it. No need to apologize for your beliefs, we can't fix stupid. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back