Sony A7 IV Metering in video and wifi data transfer to Windows

Dimonskinke

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dimonskinke
Hi,
I recently purchased an A7 iv and I’m trying to learn everything about it.

I have installed Imaging Edge Desktop on my Windows 11 machine but I can’t find a way to transfer photos to the machine wirelessly.
I found this old video showing exactly what I want to be able to do - to have the memory of the camera appear as a drive:
But it is using the Playmemories Home.
Is the playmemories application the only way to do this on my a7 iv?

I have a different question as well.
When I shoot slog3 footage I use the MM on the screen to monitor the exposure and to overexpose. When I look into the finder it is gone, the MM meter, and I can’t find a setting to make it appear in the viewfinder. It would be nice to be able to film slog3 without having to use the screen. I know I can use Zebras, but still.

Thank you!

Simon

I never trust MM for video. I always ETTR with the histogram. I always use Gamma Display Assist set to Auto.

You should get to know zebras. For non-log shooting I set at 100%+ or whatever is the maximum for that gamma. If I see stripes on something I know I've literally blown it out.
Many advocate setting zebras for skin tones, firstly everyone has differing skin tones and secondly how can I tell what I'm shooting when everyone's face is stripes!!!
Using 18% grey card only really works for controlled environments and the target level varies with each gamma.

I never trust MM for video. I always ETTR with the histogram. I always use Gamma Display Assist set to Auto.

You should get to know zebras. For non-log shooting I set at 100%+ or whatever is the maximum for that gamma. If I see stripes on something I know I've literally blown it out.
Many advocate setting zebras for skin tones, firstly everyone has differing skin tones and secondly how can I tell what I'm shooting when everyone's face is stripes!!!
Using 18% grey card only really works for controlled environments and the target level varies with each gamma.
Great advice!
How do you use Zebras in slog3 then?

Each model camera can have a different value. The standard method would be point the camera at something Bright that fills most of your monitor, not the sun. Adjust exposure to white out the screen, a slow shutter does not matter for this. Go to custom zebra and Adjust to where zebras are on the threshold of turning off. Note the percentage. You can set a value slightly less to give a safety margin if you like you might have a value of something like 98+ meaning anything over 97 IRE will show zebras.

Hi,
I recently purchased an A7 iv and I’m trying to learn everything about it.

I have installed Imaging Edge Desktop on my Windows 11 machine but I can’t find a way to transfer photos to the machine wirelessly.
I found this old video showing exactly what I want to be able to do - to have the memory of the camera appear as a drive:
But it is using the Playmemories Home.
Is the playmemories application the only way to do this on my a7 iv?

I have a different question as well.
When I shoot slog3 footage I use the MM on the screen to monitor the exposure and to overexpose. When I look into the finder it is gone, the MM meter, and I can’t find a setting to make it appear in the viewfinder. It would be nice to be able to film slog3 without having to use the screen. I know I can use Zebras, but still.

Thank you!

Simon
To answer your first question.
My preferred method is to take the card out of the camera and put it in a USB card reader.
Newer cameras have USB-C with USB 3 transfer speeds.
In either case Windows should mount the card automatically as a drive. The files are directly accessible to be copied to your PC.
Programs like Playmemories can help import catalog and edit your photos and videos but are not mandatory.

Back