Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A1 Microphone

Value

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Does the A1 have a installed mic that works Ok for videos of racing or do I need to buy one?

Are you trackside or in the stands? If in the stands will crowd noise be a problem?

I would image the A-1 has a pretty decent mic, but I don't know how it compares to other cameras. This video was with the A7R-III. You can still hear the cars pretty well when they're way down the track, 1/4 mile away.

If you're shooting for your own enjoyment and to post on forums the built-in mic is probably ok. For top quality and noise cancelling a good shotgun mic would be better if you're near the track. If you're farther away and you want to cut crowd and other ambient noise, I would think a unidirectional mic would work best. Note that this is from my days as a musician and sound engineer, not a video shooter.

Yes I know it's a black screen, click it and it'll go to Flickr so you can play it. As I said, NOT a video shooter! :ROFLMAO:

Sweet Emotion by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Are you trackside or in the stands? If in the stands will crowd noise be a problem?

I would image the A-1 has a pretty decent mic, but I don't know how it compares to other cameras. This video was with the A7R-III. You can still hear the cars pretty well when they're way down the track, 1/4 mile away.

If you're shooting for your own enjoyment and to post on forums the built-in mic is probably ok. For top quality and noise cancelling a good shotgun mic would be better if you're near the track. If you're farther away and you want to cut crowd and other ambient noise, I would think a unidirectional mic would work best. Note that this is from my days as a musician and sound engineer, not a video shooter.

Yes I know it's a black screen, click it and it'll go to Flickr so you can play it. As I said, NOT a video shooter! :ROFLMAO:

Sweet Emotion by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Holy crap … I thought the car was gonna take off… excellently done.. The sound was awesome..

Holy crap … I thought the car was gonna take off… excellently done.. The sound was awesome..
Thanks. I'm surprised every time I play a video from out there that the sound isn't distorted from so much gain. They must build a pretty good limiter into the circuit. Of course, it's Sony. I would expect Sony and Panasonic to be able to get the audio right!

New in Marketplace

Back