Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
The moonlight was almost bright enough for a round of golf...

20230610-A1_09917.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 14mm F1.8 GM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 13 sec
  • ISO 8000
20230610-A1_09923-Pano.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 14mm F1.8 GM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 13 sec
  • ISO 8000
20230610-A1_09920-Pano.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 14mm F1.8 GM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 13 sec
  • ISO 8000

Last edited:
Amazing!
On average, how many shots do you have to stack to get that much detail in the milkyway?

Amazing!
On average, how many shots do you have to stack to get that much detail in the milkyway?
Thanks 😊
I did no stacking in any of these. The first one is a single exposure and the other two are just panoramic stiching of respectively 2 and 3 photos.

Thanks Chris. As Gary said, that 14mm f1.8 lens is a ripper.
haha. I love mine like a child. My first Astro photos last month have me blighting my lips for another opportunity, and I thunk Im hooked. Looking at the southern Aurora’s and a trip to Tasmania’s wilderness. Any opportunity really. And a star tracker… :)

haha. I love mine like a child. My first Astro photos last month have me blighting my lips for another opportunity, and I thunk Im hooked. Looking at the southern Aurora’s and a trip to Tasmania’s wilderness. Any opportunity really. And a star tracker… :)
Perhaps I should look into the idea of a star tracker 🤔
Do you have any good online resources where I can read up on that a bit?

Wow! Excellent results in a single exposure!
These were overexposed quite substantially and I played around in Lightroom to get the maximum detail out of the resulting photos. Still learning and experimenting. In my very limited experience, stacking did not significantly increase the amount of detail, but did get rid of a lot of noise. With the relatively low ISO used in these photos, noise did not bother me too much.

Perhaps I should look into the idea of a star tracker 🤔
Do you have any good online resources where I can read up on that a bit?
I subscribed to the channel provided by “Nebula Photos” on YouTube and he seems very thorough. He is certainly enthusiastic!!

The star tracker is a slippery slope.

I too have the 14mm f/1.8 GM. It was easier to spend hard earn dollars for it, than knowing where do go for a dark place. I hope to go to the Utah desert later in the year. Maybe then!

I too have the 14mm f/1.8 GM. It was easier to spend hard earn dollars for it, than knowing where do go for a dark place. I hope to go to the Utah desert later in the year. Maybe then!
Have you had a look at www.lightpollutionmap.info ? Very useful if you are looking for dark sites.

Have you had a look at www.lightpollutionmap.info ? Very useful if you are looking for dark sites.
I have seen that site. I 9would have to go a great distance from where I live. If I visit friends in Utah in September, as planned, I already have a reasonably close place picket out for my first attempt at Celestial.

Back