Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Birds My first Buzzard and BIF shot

Loke

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Loke
Country
Norway
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Its actually a very bad picture, but since its my first BIF i'll post it anyway. Since i've been taking more and more bird pictures i tried in flight today, i felt i had the proper settings on the camera, but pictures didnt turn out good. Had to work them a bit in lightroom and topaz aswell.

I had a f 6.3 and 1/2500 shutter. Had OSS on for this one. I feel sometimes the 200-600 can give me really bad images at 600mm but i guess its all about technique. Shot in RAW compressed L. I was shooting against the light though, and it was harsh lightning at 10 am. But still, i had a good time, first time seeing a Common Buzzard (I hope i guessed right on the type of bird atleast :LOL: )

Feedback always appreciated.

A7407665-D.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800

A7407624-D.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 640

It is a buzzard, a key identifier I look for is known as the mayoral chain. Self explanatory in the UK, but maybe not in other parts of the world. Our mayor's traditionally wear a very ornate gold chain when attending official functions. Most buzzards, but not all, have a similar marking on the chest / throat area. You can make it out on the top image if you zoom in.

Judging from the amount of frame the bird is taking up, I'd say it was a fair distance away. I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself or the lens given the distance and light.

It is important to remember, that generally, people only show you their best images. I could upload literally thousands of "almost" shots on here.

Also, field craft is a huge factor in wildlife photography. The more time you spend studying the birds and their behaviour the closer you will get. Birds learn as well. I know of a spot in lowestoft where you can get incredibly close to hovering kestrels. It is an area where there are loads of dog walkers and the kestrels just aren't concerned by pedestrians being present. If you drive along any country lane around here, kestrels aren't concerned, but the instance you stop the car and try to get out, they're off. Birds are creatures of habit, you can literally set your watch by them, keep going to the same place and you will find patterns and they will get accustomed to you.

Anyway, keep at it, enough of my blether.

nice, I never see these buzzards apart from riding thermals really high in the sky (y)

It is a buzzard, a key identifier I look for is known as the mayoral chain. Self explanatory in the UK, but maybe not in other parts of the world. Our mayor's traditionally wear a very ornate gold chain when attending official functions. Most buzzards, but not all, have a similar marking on the chest / throat area. You can make it out on the top image if you zoom in.

Judging from the amount of frame the bird is taking up, I'd say it was a fair distance away. I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself or the lens given the distance and light.

It is important to remember, that generally, people only show you their best images. I could upload literally thousands of "almost" shots on here.

Also, field craft is a huge factor in wildlife photography. The more time you spend studying the birds and their behaviour the closer you will get. Birds learn as well. I know of a spot in lowestoft where you can get incredibly close to hovering kestrels. It is an area where there are loads of dog walkers and the kestrels just aren't concerned by pedestrians being present. If you drive along any country lane around here, kestrels aren't concerned, but the instance you stop the car and try to get out, they're off. Birds are creatures of habit, you can literally set your watch by them, keep going to the same place and you will find patterns and they will get accustomed to you.

Anyway, keep at it, enough of my blether.

We have the mayoral chain in Norway also, good reminder.

Yeah it was quite a distance. I like your blether, nice to get tips from more experienced photographers. Yeah i think that Buzzard is there often, so i'm going to head back for round two, maybe trying earlier in the morning or later in the evening so dont get the most harsh light also.

nice, I never see these buzzards apart from riding thermals really high in the sky (y)

Thank you! I think this bird reguarly hunt in the area. There is a more experienced photographer in the area here that usually photograph it, and have several good images both of flying with catched fish, mid air fighting etc.

The first shot looks to be a Marsh Harrier to me second one is a Buzzard. Well caught though.

The first shot looks to be a Marsh Harrier to me second one is a Buzzard. Well caught though.

You could be right Iain, looking at the head markings more closely the pale patch does appear to be completely around the head.

Hmm - thoose are pretty rare here, but i've heard they are on the uprise, so could be. I read there was only an estimated 24-44 pairs of Marsh Harrier residing in Norway, but there have been sightings in my town. Interesting. Guess i just have to get out there to get more images :D

Hmm - thoose are pretty rare here, but i've heard they are on the uprise, so could be. I read there was only an estimated 24-44 pairs of Marsh Harrier residing in Norway, but there have been sightings in my town. Interesting. Guess i just have to get out there to get more images :D
Get more and hope it comes closer like this one did for me.
DSC00304 by Iain Clyne, on Flickr

New in Marketplace

Back