My thoughts on A7r5 and A1 comparison

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
shot a day at bushy park where the light was low with my a7r5 left my A1 in the boot of car ,did i miss it not really but the autofcus on a7r5 is not as agressive in finding subjects as my A1 ,but once it has iactually found the subject it is a little more accurate with the eye detection subject recognition ,i came home and realised i set hi and not hi plus on frame rate guess it did not really matter although i could of benefited more frame rates in the rut user error and new camera syndrome ,love the new ai animal/ bird this takes away a button press in menu ,the evf is super much akin to A1 body felt good maybe ergonimcally superior to the A1 with updated menus and better rear screen ,grip felt similar in use ,touch menu is super handy and the new home set is nice addition ,detail noise and dynamic ranges are all very similar ,iso 12,800 will be the bench for both cameras ,now the ibis felt good you can tell you can be more confident and a little more blase with shutter speeds ,love the shutter over my a7r3 on the a7r5 very quite ,about the same as the A1 maybe better ,could not examine crop mode verses the A1 as most of the time i filled the frame ,the a7r5 may become my main shooter for a while i like it ,it will serve better as a travel camera more options and in many ways a better hybrid camera the video is more useful for wildlife ,the A1 is terrible for having to press the rear screen for tracking ,but then no 4k 120 ,8k i never found a use for anyway,the good thing is everything is compatible batterys and battery grips ,now just sony give us a lens map for future references .
Oct 2023-6.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 553.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000
Oct 2023-8.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 347.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 5000
Oct 2023-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 5000
Oct 2023-7.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 374.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 12800
Oct 2023-11.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 456.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 4000
Oct 2023-13.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 553.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 2500
Oct 2023-14.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 4000

Fabulous images, my A7R V arrives today, happy days

Glad you're happy with it Paul as I love mine to death! 🥰

What are your thoughts on the rear screen?

shot a day at bushy park where the light was low with my a7r5 left my A1 in the boot of car ,did i miss it not really but the autofcus on a7r5 is not as agressive in finding subjects as my A1 ,but once it has iactually found the subject it is a little more accurate with the eye detection subject recognition ,i came home and realised i set hi and not hi plus on frame rate guess it did not really matter although i could of benefited more frame rates in the rut user error and new camera syndrome ,love the new ai animal/ bird this takes away a button press in menu ,the evf is super much akin to A1 body felt good maybe ergonimcally superior to the A1 with updated menus and better rear screen ,grip felt similar in use ,touch menu is super handy and the new home set is nice addition ,detail noise and dynamic ranges are all very similar ,iso 12,800 will be the bench for both cameras ,now the ibis felt good you can tell you can be more confident and a little more blase with shutter speeds ,love the shutter over my a7r3 on the a7r5 very quite ,about the same as the A1 maybe better ,could not examine crop mode verses the A1 as most of the time i filled the frame ,the a7r5 may become my main shooter for a while i like it ,it will serve better as a travel camera more options and in many ways a better hybrid camera the video is more useful for wildlife ,the A1 is terrible for having to press the rear screen for tracking ,but then no 4k 120 ,8k i never found a use for anyway,the good thing is everything is compatible batterys and battery grips ,now just sony give us a lens map for future references .View attachment 49504View attachment 49507View attachment 49505View attachment 49506View attachment 49508View attachment 49510View attachment 49509
Great shots. My favourite is the second deer shot. I’m thinking of a second body, just waiting on the dust to settle on the new a9 and possible update to a1 before making a final decision.

Nice colours too. I don't think you need to have to touch the screen for tracking on the A1. If you do I would never buy one!

Nice colours too. I don't think you need to have to touch the screen for tracking on the A1. If you do I would never buy one!
I think tracking can be done without rear screen, someone must know on here

I think tracking can be done without rear screen, someone must know on here
The manual says it can be activated in the menu, same as any other Sony. Maybe we're not understanding what Paul is saying?

these are wonderful images, great work with the RV! I enjoy mine as well.

There's no need to touch the screen to track with an A1. You simply choose the correct AF mode for the job at hand. C2 is programmed to switch between my preferred modes.

No need to touch anything or use BBF. Shutter half press initiates focus and tracking. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
There's no need to touch the screen to track with an A1. You simply choose the correct AF mode for the job at hand. C2 is programmed to switch between my preferred modes.

No need to touch anything or use BBF. Shutter half press initiates focus and tracking. Easy peasy.
video not stills

That's still really rubbish then! I never shoot video, I wish they'd remove the option :)

I might write an email to Mark Galer... ✅
Don't bother, he'll just tell you how to use it.

I don't mind having the little red button to push for a quick video, but they can do without all the hoo-ha logs and whatnot. In truth that's exactly what the A9 and A1 series should be.

Don't bother, he'll just tell you how to use it.

I don't mind having the little red button to push for a quick video, but they can do without all the hoo-ha logs and whatnot. In truth that's exactly what the A9 and A1 series should be.
Tell them Tim 😆

Back