New 50mm f/0.95 and 50mm f1.4 FE lenses for Sony

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Great lenses are like a Crack habit. I find them irresistible! And no, I have no experience with Crack or any other drugs. On the other hand, I can't imagine owning an A1. I am a Sick Puppy!

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
I thought for a long time and weighed the pros and cons before deciding to buy the A1. Then I had a fairly long wait for one to come into inventory at my local store, too, which provided an opportunity to change my mind, but, too late, that A1 was already in my mind a part of the household. Now she's here and she's definitely an amazing, incredible camera and I am truly happy that I did take the plunge!

Reactions: liggy

TerryL

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
May 19, 2021
Name
Terry
I thought for a long time and weighed the pros and cons before deciding to buy the A1. Then I had a fairly long wait for one to come into inventory at my local store, too, which provided an opportunity to change my mind, but, too late, that A1 was already in my mind a part of the household. Now she's here and she's definitely an amazing, incredible camera and I am truly happy that I did take the plunge!
I hope you enjoy your camera.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
I love, love, LOVE the A1!!!! Fantastic camera! I also love my lenses, too, which work so beautifully with her....

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
So when I bought the A1 I said, "whew, what a hit to my bank account!" and resolved not to buy any new lenses for a while..... Well, uh........ I succumbed, just couldn't help myself, the A1 was saying, not so gently nagging me, "c'mon, you know we need that 50mm f1.2 now, not some time in the vague, undefined future to put on me -- this is prime shooting season, we could do so much together right now and over the next little while -- I deserve to be wearing this lens! She's made for me!"

Well, the bank account is suffering, moaning and complaining, but the A1 is happy and I'm happy! The 50mm f/1.2 is truly a phenomenal lens, really surprising me beyond what I had expected. Rendering of bokeh, of colors, of sharpness-- just fantastic. I love this lens!

sometimes I wander out to take a photo or two with just the 50 GM, 135 GM, and the A1. I try not to think how much money is sitting in that camera bagā€¦ even the CFexpress cards are expensive šŸ˜£

but the photographs are very good!

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
sometimes I wander out to take a photo or two with just the 50 GM, 135 GM, and the A1. I try not to think how much money is sitting in that camera bagā€¦ even the CFexpress cards are expensive šŸ˜£

but the photographs are very good!

Factor in how much pleasure you are deriving and the fact that the up front costs may be large but they are about it. Then it is a good idea to have that gear in your kit bag.

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Factor in how much pleasure you are deriving and the fact that the up front costs may be large but they are about it. Then it is a good idea to have that gear in your kit bag.

Very good point!

Of course, that does make my evil twin in the mirror say "... and wouldn't it be nice to have the 600mm f/4, too"...

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Very good point!

Of course, that does make my evil twin in the mirror say "... and wouldn't it be nice to have the 600mm f/4, too"...

OTOH you only have to buy the 200 - 600 once. Yeah, they are not cheap, they are an expensive item. But if you want reach and detail they are a wonderful solution. You can cure covet with purchase. ;o)

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
OTOH you only have to buy the 200 - 600 once. Yeah, they are not cheap, they are an expensive item. But if you want reach and detail they are a wonderful solution. You can cure covet with purchase. ;o)
I already have the 200-600 :cool:

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
On another site we are doing an "Octoberfest" project, where for the month of October each participant will be shooting on a daily basis and posting one image per day. Members could either choose to use just one prime lens for the entire time period or could use up to three different prime lenses. I chose to use my A1 and the 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2 and the 135 f/1.8 to give me a bit of variety in range and type of shooting..... gotta put my expensive babies to work! It's going to be fun, but definitely challenging, too!

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

Ā© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.