New 50mm f/0.95 and 50mm f1.4 FE lenses for Sony

Chuckling here...... Yeah, I know how some lenses can be dangerous!!! Aieeeee! When I first bought my A7R IV I started out with three lenses, two of which were macros, and the third was the alluring 135 f/1.8. At that time I had every intention of using just these three lenses for a while and for any longer length than the 135mm I would continue to use my Sony RX10 IV with its 1" sensor and lens equivalent to 24mm - 600mm. Yeah, that lasted a few short weeks! One day when I was out on the deck shooting some ducks with it I thought, "this would be so much better with a long lens on my A7R IV," and the next day I was back at the store buying the 200-600mm!

Love that lens, but it didn't take me long to realize as spring was arriving and I was out walking around the lake, which I love to do, that the 200-600mm which I've fondly nicknamed "the Bazooka" was just too awkward and heavy for me to use as a walk around lens. OK, so next thing you know I'm buying another Wimberley Gimbal head to put on one of my tripods (I had sold the previous Wimberley a few years prior, thinking I'd not be doing that kind of shooting any more), AND I'm back in the store buying the 100-400mm !!!! Eventually that led to purchasing the 1.4x TC, too.....

Also the 135mm and the 100-400mm both got me hooked on GM lenses., as did the 100 STF that I bought some months later, too. So that's one reason I kept leaning towards the 12-24mm when I was getting ready for a wide-angle lens..... The 50mm f/1.2 will probably be arriving in the household sooner rather than later. And then I'll stop buying lenses for a while..... (famous last words, eh?).

Yes, the 50mm f/1.2 GM is a seductive lens. Just like its bigger sibling, the 135/1.8 GM…

I already have several GM primes, but now I find myself looking lustfully at the 400/2.8 and the 600/4…

I would so, so LOVE a 400mm f/2.8!!!! AND a 600mm f/4 but I know my financial limits and that would be going a bridge too far..... and I don't think I could justify either one to myself, no matter how much I want them! As it is, I've already pushed the envelope by buying the A1! I am really happy with the new camera, though, so no regrets. Just have to take it easy on the spending for a while, but, ooh, that 50mm f/1.2 is singing a siren song to me.....

Note to self: Do not try 135GM. 🤣. Must resist.
Would love the 400/600 primes but they would be hard to justify. Still loving the 200-600 which is a relative bargain tbh.

Yeah, that 135mm GM is sneaky and seductive..... The day I was buying my A7R IV and the first few lenses to go with her I had every intention of buying the 24-105mm, which would be such a great overall lens.....but darned if that 135mm GM wasn't singing a siren song to me the whole time I was in the store and as we were about to wrap things up, I startled both myself and the store employee who was helping me by suddenly blurting out that I wanted the 135mm GM....!!! She arrived in her box on the counter and the 24-105mm quietly went back to her place on the shelf..... I am happy that I listened to the siren song and gave in to my impulse. She's a gorgeous lens! Used her today, actually, and she and the A1 had an immediate connection with each other, bringing out the best in each other......

Yeah, that 135mm GM is sneaky and seductive..... The day I was buying my A7R IV and the first few lenses to go with her I had every intention of buying the 24-105mm, which would be such a great overall lens.....but darned if that 135mm GM wasn't singing a siren song to me the whole time I was in the store and as we were about to wrap things up, I startled both myself and the store employee who was helping me by suddenly blurting out that I wanted the 135mm GM....!!! She arrived in her box on the counter and the 24-105mm quietly went back to her place on the shelf..... I am happy that I listened to the siren song and gave in to my impulse. She's a gorgeous lens! Used her today, actually, and she and the A1 had an immediate connection with each other, bringing out the best in each other......
You're so weak! You should be ashamed of yourself! ;)

Note to self: Do not try 135GM. 🤣. Must resist.
Would love the 400/600 primes but they would be hard to justify. Still loving the 200-600 which is a relative bargain tbh.

I believe the line is "Resistance is useless!"
Oh, and "Come to the dark side, we have cookies!"

Every day you resist is another without gorgeous 135 GM shots...

I believe the line is "Resistance is useless!"
Oh, and "Come to the dark side, we have cookies!"

Every day you resist is another without gorgeous 135 GM shots...

lol! So true. The Fuji XF 90mm 2.0 is like that too. Perfect headshot lens. The upcoming Tamron 35-150 2-2.8 is piquing my curiosity a bit tbh. Obviously it won’t match the GM but the range and speed are intriguing. I really like the 70-180 2.8 and there’s so much overlap but if we ever get back to event shooting that would be a real workhorse.

"Resistance is Futile!" Yep...... I can absolutely, definitely attest to that!

So when I bought the A1 I said, "whew, what a hit to my bank account!" and resolved not to buy any new lenses for a while..... Well, uh........ I succumbed, just couldn't help myself, the A1 was saying, not so gently nagging me, "c'mon, you know we need that 50mm f1.2 now, not some time in the vague, undefined future to put on me -- this is prime shooting season, we could do so much together right now and over the next little while -- I deserve to be wearing this lens! She's made for me!"

Well, the bank account is suffering, moaning and complaining, but the A1 is happy and I'm happy! The 50mm f/1.2 is truly a phenomenal lens, really surprising me beyond what I had expected. Rendering of bokeh, of colors, of sharpness-- just fantastic. I love this lens!

Great lenses are like a Crack habit. I find them irresistible! And no, I have no experience with Crack or any other drugs. On the other hand, I can't imagine owning an A1. I am a Sick Puppy!

I thought for a long time and weighed the pros and cons before deciding to buy the A1. Then I had a fairly long wait for one to come into inventory at my local store, too, which provided an opportunity to change my mind, but, too late, that A1 was already in my mind a part of the household. Now she's here and she's definitely an amazing, incredible camera and I am truly happy that I did take the plunge!

I thought for a long time and weighed the pros and cons before deciding to buy the A1. Then I had a fairly long wait for one to come into inventory at my local store, too, which provided an opportunity to change my mind, but, too late, that A1 was already in my mind a part of the household. Now she's here and she's definitely an amazing, incredible camera and I am truly happy that I did take the plunge!
I hope you enjoy your camera.

I love, love, LOVE the A1!!!! Fantastic camera! I also love my lenses, too, which work so beautifully with her....

So when I bought the A1 I said, "whew, what a hit to my bank account!" and resolved not to buy any new lenses for a while..... Well, uh........ I succumbed, just couldn't help myself, the A1 was saying, not so gently nagging me, "c'mon, you know we need that 50mm f1.2 now, not some time in the vague, undefined future to put on me -- this is prime shooting season, we could do so much together right now and over the next little while -- I deserve to be wearing this lens! She's made for me!"

Well, the bank account is suffering, moaning and complaining, but the A1 is happy and I'm happy! The 50mm f/1.2 is truly a phenomenal lens, really surprising me beyond what I had expected. Rendering of bokeh, of colors, of sharpness-- just fantastic. I love this lens!

sometimes I wander out to take a photo or two with just the 50 GM, 135 GM, and the A1. I try not to think how much money is sitting in that camera bag… even the CFexpress cards are expensive 😣

but the photographs are very good!

sometimes I wander out to take a photo or two with just the 50 GM, 135 GM, and the A1. I try not to think how much money is sitting in that camera bag… even the CFexpress cards are expensive 😣

but the photographs are very good!

Factor in how much pleasure you are deriving and the fact that the up front costs may be large but they are about it. Then it is a good idea to have that gear in your kit bag.

Factor in how much pleasure you are deriving and the fact that the up front costs may be large but they are about it. Then it is a good idea to have that gear in your kit bag.

Very good point!

Of course, that does make my evil twin in the mirror say "... and wouldn't it be nice to have the 600mm f/4, too"...

Very good point!

Of course, that does make my evil twin in the mirror say "... and wouldn't it be nice to have the 600mm f/4, too"...

OTOH you only have to buy the 200 - 600 once. Yeah, they are not cheap, they are an expensive item. But if you want reach and detail they are a wonderful solution. You can cure covet with purchase. ;o)

OTOH you only have to buy the 200 - 600 once. Yeah, they are not cheap, they are an expensive item. But if you want reach and detail they are a wonderful solution. You can cure covet with purchase. ;o)
I already have the 200-600 :cool:

On another site we are doing an "Octoberfest" project, where for the month of October each participant will be shooting on a daily basis and posting one image per day. Members could either choose to use just one prime lens for the entire time period or could use up to three different prime lenses. I chose to use my A1 and the 20mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2 and the 135 f/1.8 to give me a bit of variety in range and type of shooting..... gotta put my expensive babies to work! It's going to be fun, but definitely challenging, too!

Back