Followers
Following
Name
Nancy Grinberg
1) 7Artisans 50mm f0.95 for Sony E-mount cameras
SPECS:
7 elements in 5 groups
13-blade diaphragm
de-clicked aperture (I do not enjoy with the de-clicked aperture, but thinking it will be better for vedio shooting)
Price: $200↑ (I’m waiting for the price drop, hope it will drop soon)

2) TTArtisan 50mm f/1.4 Full-Frame Lens for Sony E-Mount
SPECS:
10 Elements in 8 groups
12 Diaphragm Blades
f/1.4 Maximum Aperture
Price: $235

Attachments

• A2000403_new_gallery4.jpg
    A2000403_new_gallery4.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 27
  • A2000353_new_gallery5.jpg
    A2000353_new_gallery5.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 27
0.95! Where is the use for that?

That is a Chinese company. In my experience, Chinese equipment is unreliable and their customer service is non-existent, so I would not even consider buying Chinese lenses.

Buy from a reliable dealer and support is not a problem,.

That is a Chinese company. In my experience, Chinese equipment is unreliable and their customer service is non-existent, so I would not even consider buying Chinese lenses.
That’s a silly position. There are naturally some crap lenses and companies out there but they aren’t all bad. The Mitakon 65 1.4 is an excellent piece of glass for the GFX system.
My most used Sony lens has been carried around for endless miles and has taken thousands of shots without complaint. It’s the Sony 200-600.
Guess where it is made? :)

My dad had a Sunbeam Alpine. Cursed by the Prince of Darkness himself. Complete POS. That doesn’t mean I slag off every company and product from England.

I used to think that the products from China were crap and a lot of them were. Lately thought, I have seen and own some finely made items from China. I'm pretty sure that Sony's lenses are made in many different countries, including China. Their business practices may be another matter. The world is changing.

My Sony 24 - 240 zoom is made in China. It is a great lens with very good color and definition. It works whenever required and I have had it since when the A7M II hit the market around 2015. I have dragged it all over the US and Europe and it has never let me down. The A7M II itself was made in Thailand. It works just fine but I did get a "Camera Error - Turn camera off and on again" loop that was solved with a YT link on this board. If you want to see how well it takes pictures here is a link to a bunch I took with the 24 - 240. https://www.flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157667122743522

I do not subscribe to all of what the reviewers write but will concur with Ken Rockwell's review of the Sony 24 - 240 where he says it is all the lens you will ever need. Made in China.

I used to think that the products from China were crap and a lot of them were. Lately thought, I have seen and own some finely made items from China. I'm pretty sure that Sony's lenses are made in many different countries, including China. Their business practices may be another matter. The world is changing.
Exactly. I’m an a Apple fanboy but the quality of their products is beyond reproach. And I’m considering the 14mm GM which I believe is also made in China.

That’s a silly position. There are naturally some crap lenses and companies out there but they aren’t all bad. The Mitakon 65 1.4 is an excellent piece of glass for the GFX system.
My most used Sony lens has been carried around for endless miles and has taken thousands of shots without complaint. It’s the Sony 200-600.
Guess where it is made? :)

My dad had a Sunbeam Alpine. Cursed by the Prince of Darkness himself. Complete POS. That doesn’t mean I slag off every company and product from England.
I am not complaining about the optical quality of the Laowa lens, I am complaining about the mechanical reliability, and also the chip, which made the exif say the photo was taken with a Canon lens! And I had a hell of a job getting them to tell me how to get it repaired under warranty. I also bought simple cable release made by a Chinese company which never worked. I also got a dashcam made by a Chinese company with instructions in Chinglish which I could not make sense of and which I could not get to work.
Sony is not a Chinese company so I have much more faith in them, even if they do manufacture some of their products in China.

I am not complaining about the optical quality of the Laowa lens, I am complaining about the mechanical reliability, and also the chip, which made the exif say the photo was taken with a Canon lens! And I had a hell of a job getting them to tell me how to get it repaired under warranty. I also bought simple cable release made by a Chinese company which never worked. I also got a dashcam made by a Chinese company with instructions in Chinglish which I could not make sense of and which I could not get to work.
Sony is not a Chinese company so I have much more faith in them, even if they do manufacture some of their products in China.
You may also be getting what you pay for. You know the old saw about oats. If you want clean, fresh oats you have to pay a fair price. But if you can be satisfied with the oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper.

Perhaps you should stop buying cheap stuff and buy quality items instead.
Some of those items might even be made in China by Chinese companies. :)

Perhaps you should stop buying cheap stuff and buy quality items instead.
Some of those items might even be made in China by Chinese companies. :)
The cable release that didn't work was actually relatively expensive because I wanted it to be good quality. You are making the same mistake that I did: equating price with quality!

Fair point.
Possibly. But unless we know the price of this cable release and the price of comparable cable release we really do not have enough evidence. I think I will step away from this billingsgate.

Possibly. But unless we know the price of this cable release and the price of comparable cable release we really do not have enough evidence. I think I will step away from this billingsgate.

Makes sense. My original point stands. Not all Chinese equipment sucks and not all Chinese companies deliver terrible customer service. Mr. Clark making a blanket statement like that is just wrong. I'd normally use a stronger term than wrong but out of politeness will refrain.

Exactly. I’m an a Apple fanboy but the quality of their products is beyond reproach. And I’m considering the 14mm GM which I believe is also made in China.
My 14mm GM is in fact Made in China. A Very High Quality lens. Interestingly, Ken Rockwell gives a glowing review of the Sony A7M3 and states that it is made in China. My A7M3 is made in Thailand.

Literally so little DOF though.

It is not for landscapes. For portraits it should be great. Little depth of field is needed for eyes. The rest can be slightly out of focus and the BG in great bokeh. Wide open is common for portraiture. Follow Matt Osborn/Mr. Leica on YT for in depth explanations and examples.

Mmmmm. . . . 0.95 . . . .

I've been eyeballing this lens. It may go on this year's Christmas list. I have a manual 12mm f2.8 Meke brand lens that does pretty well especially for a $169 lens. Bought it for wide field astrophotography and I've been pleased with the results so far. I discovered its a good walk around lens too. I like value, and manage my expectations accordingly. I DO appreciate high quality stuff, but I have too many money sucking hobbies to go for the best all the time. The f0.95 would not only be fun during the day, it might be fun at night on the stars.

This is an early shot with the Meke on my a6000. C.A. around the stars, but this corrects out quite well in Affinity Photo, focus may be a smidge off. This is uncorrected. Orion area including the winter Milky Way taken from a remote camping site not far from Zion National Park. Not bad for a cheap lens. If I can get similar performance from the 50mm, I'd be happy even though @ 0.95 the edges might not be too sharp.

Tom

DSC01204.JPG

Nice. And I see The Hunter is afoot.

I've got some M49 glass, all manual, and may get an adapter to hang it off the front of the Sony. Any advice on adapters?

Wish I could help. I'm a complete noob when it comes to Sony cameras and accessories. I bought my a6000 just for playing around with some wide field star shots, but discovered it's a nice compact, light, kick around camera too. After using the Sony, my primary camera feels like it was milled out of a sold block of lead. I always liked the heft, but I hardly notice the Sony when its hanging from my neck. I'm sure other will chime in with ideas.

Tom

One more data point:

Just received my copy of the 12-24 2.8 GM. So far it seems worthy of the hype.
Made in China. :)

Nice. And I see The Hunter is afoot.

I've got some M49 glass, all manual, and may get an adapter to hang it off the front of the Sony. Any advice on adapters?

Got my adapter from Adorama, 7Artisans. Tried a L39 in an M39 adapter to the 7Artisans using a Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC Lens. Works as well on a SONY as it does on a Leica, only better. No more RF hassle. WYSIWYG! If I get motivated I will test the lens in the SONY, the M9 and the M240. The M9 is CCD sensor the the M240 CMOS. SONY, of course, CMOS.

One more data point:

Just received my copy of the 12-24 2.8 GM. So far it seems worthy of the hype.
Made in China. :)

Great lens, isn't it?! I needed a wide angle lens as the widest I had was 35mm and so I looked at all the options and fell in love with the 12-24mm, so added it to my list of lenses to buy......and finally when the time was right, a happy confluence of availability of both the lens itself and the funds to pay for it occurred. I had hesitated for a while since I haven't really shot much in wide angle and there were certainly less expensive wide angle options that I could've chosen, but I'm very glad that I went ahead and bought this beauty! Definitely worthy of the hype, a truly stellar lens and one which I've found fun to use.

As for a very, very fast 50mm the 50mm f/1.2 GM is next up on my list. I have a 50mm f/2.8 macro but that's it in the 50mm range. I also have a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 (manual focus) lens, which is a real gem, and I'm thinking that the 50mm f/1.2 GM with AF will be a very nice addition, especially for those times when I want a little more reach than with the 35mm and also a lens in that range which has AF. Slowly filling in the gaps in ranges/lenses over time......

My 14mm GM is in fact Made in China. A Very High Quality lens. Interestingly, Ken Rockwell gives a glowing review of the Sony A7M3 and states that it is made in China. My A7M3 is made in Thailand.

As for a very, very fast 50mm the 50mm f/1.2 GM is next up on my list. I have a 50mm f/2.8 macro but that's it in the 50mm range. I also have a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 (manual focus) lens, which is a real gem, and I'm thinking that the 50mm f/1.2 GM with AF will be a very nice addition, especially for those times when I want a little more reach than with the 35mm and also a lens in that range which has AF. Slowly filling in the gaps in ranges/lenses over time......

You're 100% correct. The 12-24 is an impressive feat of lens design.

A warning: The 50 1.2 is a dangerous lens. :D

I came to Sony intending only to shoot BIF with the 200-600.
After getting the 50 1.2 that led to the 35 1.4 and now the 12-24 2.8 GM.

Happy Shooting!

Back