Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I just picked up a new FE 50mm F1.2 GM. Do you have one?

I noticed that when the lens is not mounted on the camera when I turn over (end over end) slowly, I hear and feel a quiet thunk inside. It's like something heavy inside is moving on rails. It's not a rattle.

I think I feel the same thing when the lens is mounted on the camera (A1), but that seems to stop when I turn on the camera.

I have other Sony lenses, but this FE 50mm F1.2 GM is the only one that does this.

Is this normal?

Should take this back to the authorized Sony dealer where I got it?

Thank you.

no it is only the floating focusing elements in the lens that have to move by electronic motors if no power in the motors they can move with motion of the camera try with turning the camera on and see if you get the same results

When I first got my 16-35mm GM it made clunking sounds when I moved it around. I thought something might have been wrong until I read Ken Rockwell's review, it did come in handy that he has a part that says what noise it makes when shaken... 😃

no it is only the floating focusing elements in the lens that have to move by electronic motors if no power in the motors they can move with motion of the camera try with turning the camera on and see if you get the same results
It's the image stabilization, not focus. The AF motors hold the elements in place when not connected, same as your transmission keeps your car from moving when turned off. IS needs power for the electromagnets to work. Your camera may rattle when powered down and shaken too, it's the sensor moving.

My 50mm f/1.2 does this, too.....so do a couple of my other GM lenses. At first it can seem alarming, but one gets accustomed to it after a while.

Back