New Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM mark II

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Reading about these waits in the US, I feel quite privileged; I got mine on 21 November in Australia. I hadn't pre-ordered - I happened to be in the camera store when they had just received stock. It's a very good store, and they'd ordered more than their pre-orders, which makes sense.

Mine finally arrived after riding around on a FedEx truck in Atlanta, Ga for 5 days.
30% lighter is very noticeable. Auto Focus speed is awesome.
When you first pick it up you can feel something sliding or moving inside, a little concerning. But as soon as the camera is powered on it goes away.
I am told by a reliable source, MarkGaler, This is normal and is same with all new lenses with the new linear drive motors. Whew had me worried.
Everyone else probably knew this except me.

Yup. The linear motors slide freely in the lens until powered on. It is normal but can be disconcerting until you get used to it. Glad you got the lens. I'm still waiting for mine - today would have been perfect since it is my birthday. :p

Yup. The linear motors slide freely in the lens until powered on. It is normal but can be disconcerting until you get used to it. Glad you got the lens. I'm still waiting for mine - today would have been perfect since it is my birthday. :p
Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!

Mine finally arrived after riding around on a FedEx truck in Atlanta, Ga for 5 days.
30% lighter is very noticeable. Auto Focus speed is awesome.
When you first pick it up you can feel something sliding or moving inside, a little concerning. But as soon as the camera is powered on it goes away.
I am told by a reliable source, MarkGaler, This is normal and is same with all new lenses with the new linear drive motors. Whew had me worried.
Everyone else probably knew this except me.

Your lens went for a tour of Atlanta without you? Think of the photos you could have taken!

I generally carry mine in the camera bag vertically, which means the focussing groups aren't sliding around. No idea if it makes the slightest difference (probably not), but it's how I carry all my lenses.

Happy Birthday!!!! And yes it is disconcerting at first. You are like, crap something is wrong with it after waiting all this time.

Any idea when Sony will restart shipping the GM II again in the US? Ordered 11/4.

Ordered mine in early Dec and BH is now saying it won't ship until May 2022

Just picked up one from an Ohio shop...amazing that there are some out there. Only one I have found. Arrives tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that. It is a superb lens.

I found mine in stock at my local dealer. Maybe ring a few to see if someone has one? Someone a few posts up found one in stock, so I’m not the only one.

Sorry to hear that. It is a superb lens.

I found mine in stock at my local dealer. Maybe ring a few to see if someone has one? Someone a few posts up found one in stock, so I’m not the only one.
Yes…call around some smaller shops. Clearly there are a few around.

The local store still does not have a status on mine. I've only been on the list since mid-December. I missed the first shipment they got. Bad timing on my part. The 70-200 GM is my favorite zoom to use in this Willamette Valley weather.

Reading all the posts here, makes me think two things; or the demand in the European market is not so great or the same market gets more lenses. Same goes for Australia. I got my lense quite fast. And am impressed by it, non the less.

My theory is that Australia gets an early shipment because that single shipment can fill pre-orders and put a few on the shelves. Same size shipment to the US would vanish without trace leaving plaintive cries of “where’s mine???”

Theory. Not verified. Not fact. But something I hope continue!

My theory is that Australia gets an early shipment because that single shipment can fill pre-orders and put a few on the shelves. Same size shipment to the US would vanish without trace leaving plaintive cries of “where’s mine???”

Theory. Not verified. Not fact. But something I hope continue!

Date of Order: October 20, 2021
Item: Heliopan 49mm RG 780 Infrared filter
Quantity: 1

Looks to me that it is a sign of how bad distribution of product is for the United States. Bad weather, lack of transport drivers, and lack of workers at the docks are a continuing problem for the US at this time.

BH contacted me to tell me the Lens is arriving 4 months early...it's here tomorrow!!
See, sometimes there is good news. Mine was receiving my A7 M4 on Christmas Eve day and using it on Christmas. OK, now back to reality. :mad:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back