Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
This is going to be a heck of a camera. Electronic shutter only, Type B Express cards, 45MP, 20FPS (120 in jpeg), price almost identical.

This really points out the need to bump the A9III in certain areas, including shutter speeds to MP. If this thing will do 20FPS with electronic shutter it's going to sell like hotcakes.

700Z8-A7rV.jpg

This is going to be a heck of a camera. Electronic shutter only, Type B Express cards, 45MP, 20FPS (120 in jpeg), price almost identical.

This really points out the need to bump the A9III in certain areas, including shutter speeds to MP. If this thing will do 20FPS with electronic shutter it's going to sell like hotcakes.

700Z8-A7rV.jpg

looks tempting Tim, AF points a bit low compared to the Sony, and I only use electronic shutter anyway so ok on that, although I do like the 14 bit Sony raw, video I do not need or want really.

700Z8-A7rV.jpg

For me, it all depends on the lenses. And Sony GM are the best!

Regardless of the minor differences here or there, the Z8 is essentially a Mini Z9. If Sony doesn't respond accordingly Canon and Nikon are going to run with this market. That's awfully fast for a camera with 45MP.

I left Nikon because they did not have the lenses that I wanted at the time and even now they still don't have a couple in their Z line.....and in the meantime I've been enjoying the Sony versions of those lenses for several years now. I've been more than happy with my choice of Sony and I've loved every Sony lens I have used and owned. Nikon is still trying to play catch-up with Sony.

The specs for this read exactly like the Z9 just in a smaller body, so I assume that it doesn't have the battery grip type body.

A great spec, but no affordable lenses...

I left Nikon because they did not have the lenses that I wanted at the time and even now they still don't have a couple in their Z line.....and in the meantime I've been enjoying the Sony versions of those lenses for several years now. I've been more than happy with my choice of Sony and I've loved every Sony lens I have used and owned. Nikon is still trying to play catch-up with Sony.
Yup, that's the biggest drawback. And even though Nikon has now embraced Tamron/Sigma/et al, it's going to take them a few years to catch up. Still, for someone like me who wants a faster camera and middle-ground MP, I could buy a body and a single lens to do the job and use Sony for everything else. It's basically the same price as an A9II with (mostly) better specs.

The specs for this read exactly like the Z9 just in a smaller body, so I assume that it doesn't have the battery grip type body.
Yes. If you click the link there are photos of it.

More competition = good

If I were starting from scratch this would be a strong consideration but no matter how good it is - nope. My Sony kit is dialed in really well.
Now let’s get a PF 800mm FE lens. :)

More competition = good

If I were starting from scratch this would be a strong consideration but no matter how good it is - nope. My Sony kit is dialed in really well.
Now let’s get a PF 800mm FE lens. :)
The 800 lens will be too expensive if Sony make one to match the Nikon 800mm 5.6

Yup, that's the biggest drawback. And even though Nikon has now embraced Tamron/Sigma/et al, it's going to take them a few years to catch up. Still, for someone like me who wants a faster camera and middle-ground MP, I could buy a body and a single lens to do the job and use Sony for everything else. It's basically the same price as an A9II with (mostly) better specs.
Well, there is that TechArt adapter for using the Sony lenses on the Nikon Z cameras with AF.

The 800 lens will be too expensive if Sony make one to match the Nikon 800mm 5.6
I was thinking of the 800 6.3. It's really the only lens for Nikon that I wish for in FE. Otherwise we almost have an embarrassment of riches here in FE world.

$6500 seems reasonable to me and definitely more palatable than $13K for the FE600 :)

I was thinking of the 800 6.3. It's really the only lens for Nikon that I wish for in FE. Otherwise we almost have an embarrassment of riches here in FE world.

$6500 seems reasonable to me and definitely more palatable than $13K for the FE600 :)
I think so as well but I had thought it was f5.6 my bad

Holy crap! This is much bigger than it looked in photos by itself.

5-YTcamera-body-comp-Z-8-Rumor-A7rV-fullsize-enhance.jpg

I don't think this is really going to be compared to the A7RV as it is more like the A1 and an upgrade over the A9ii.

I don't think this is really going to be compared to the A7RV as it is more like the A1 and an upgrade over the A9ii.
Yeah, that's pretty much what everyone is saying. Not sure why the RV was chosen, other than it's Sony's newest release.

IMO the Nikon Z9 looks like a DSLR and is way too bulky and huge. Presumably they are trying to shrink it down a bit with the Z8 but if that photo represents the actual Z8 body, it still is too big as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want either one of them. Notice how sleek and elegant the Sony is in comparison....

Don’t you just love the 50mm GM and 135mm GM?

700Z8-A7rV.jpg

there are some mistakes in the specs - HEIF is not a RAW format (it’s like JPEG), and the A7RV supports it - I would be astonished if the Z8 lacks 14 bit RAW. They missed out the bulb timer which means you can have much longer shutter speeds. They missed that the A7RV also supports 8k video.
And the Nikon’s real base ISO is 64, but the 50 ISO on the A7RV is “extended”, so I think that is comparing Z8 native ISO range to A7RV expanded.

comparing the Z8 to the A7RV is like comparing the A1 to the Canon R5 - not an accurate comparison.

Regardless of the minor differences here or there, the Z8 is essentially a Mini Z9. If Sony doesn't respond accordingly Canon and Nikon are going to run with this market. That's awfully fast for a camera with 45MP.
You don’t think the A1 compares? It may be “old”, but a lot of its specs are competitive.

You don’t think the A1 compares? It may be “old”, but a lot of its specs are competitive.
The A1 is old. Iit's old news. People want a reason to buy something new. So while the specs may be similar, it's old. Add to it that people are expecting a new version but so far Sony has been silent.

One wonders if it's such a great comparison why they didn't choose it instead of the 7RV.

Oh yeah...it's old.

there are some mistakes in the specs - HEIF is not a RAW format (it’s like JPEG), and the A7RV supports it - I would be astonished if the Z8 lacks 14 bit RAW. They missed out the bulb timer which means you can have much longer shutter speeds. They missed that the A7RV also supports 8k video.
And the Nikon’s real base ISO is 64, but the 50 ISO on the A7RV is “extended”, so I think that is comparing Z8 native ISO range to A7RV expanded.

comparing the Z8 to the A7RV is like comparing the A1 to the Canon R5 - not an accurate comparison.
It's a rumor...so...

IMO the Nikon Z9 looks like a DSLR and is way too bulky and huge. Presumably they are trying to shrink it down a bit with the Z8 but if that photo represents the actual Z8 body, it still is too big as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't want either one of them. Notice how sleek and elegant the Sony is in comparison....
To me the weight in more important than the physical size, to a point. The bodies that have the duel batteries built in (hate saying built in battery grip because it isn't if you can't remove it) are all first too heavy but also too large. With the standard bodies the physical size is generally fine since they all easily fit into bags/slings.
As for possibly switching, the features of the non-Sony would have to be incredible because the cost of switching isn't going to be worth something like a possible 10% improvement.

Holy crap! This is much bigger than it looked in photos by itself.

5-YTcamera-body-comp-Z-8-Rumor-A7rV-fullsize-enhance.jpg

Nikon should retire their designers and hire new talent, to keep up with the times. Their cameras look kind of prehistoric now, even if the specs are amazing.

Nikon should retire their designers and hire new talent, to keep up with the times. Their cameras look kind of prehistoric now, even if the specs are amazing.
Yeah, what's funny is it looked fine until I saw the side-by-side. o_O

The A1 is old. Iit's old news. People want a reason to buy something new. So while the specs may be similar, it's old. Add to it that people are expecting a new version but so far Sony has been silent.

One wonders if it's such a great comparison why they didn't choose it instead of the 7RV.

Oh yeah...it's old.

Strange thing is, mine still works. Gosh, you'd think it should be retired and collecting a pension if it's so old.

I saw a near identical set of specs on another rumour site, but the other one did not make the mistake of labelling HEIF as RAW. Looks like SAR adds extra inaccuracy :p

I'm sure if Sony release a major firmware update for the A1, it would change everything. On the camera which still is the premier camera on the mirrorless market, regardless of it's age a tiny nudge upwards in a couple of areas will put it head and shoulders above everything again.

This would be the best thing from a consumer standpoint, not a business one. But then again, I think if Sony leaves the A1 treading water and releases an A1II, there'd probably be a lot of A1 owners jumping to another system out of pure morality, so a major A1 firmware would be a fantastic business move I think.

It is quite an interesting thing to see Sony not addressing this in any way though.

Strange thing is, mine still works. Gosh, you'd think it should be retired and collecting a pension if it's so old.

I saw a near identical set of specs on another rumour site, but the other one did not make the mistake of labelling HEIF as RAW. Looks like SAR adds extra inaccuracy :p
So does my A7RIII, but you won't see them comparing it, either. You know why? It's old.

Rumor sites are just that. If you dislike SAR, why do you continue to read these posts and comment? Why not just go check out the sites you like? Better, yet, why not post your more accurate information for the betterment of the forum? I'd be more than happy to check out your more accurate site.

Back