Nikon to announce Z8 May 6. Compared to A7 RV

But also with an abysmal battery life if the reports are correct...
So? Batteries are small and light. I carry 5 when I go out, one in each camera and three spares. I had to change one the other day in the field. :eek:

If I'm going for a walk I slip one into my pocket. I'd rather do that than have a monstrous battery grip on the camera.

The truth is all manufacturer's underrate battery life to avoid complaints. We won't really know until the average Joe gets one in his hands and reports.

Let's be real. A fan is a fan. A Sony fan will find the faults and a Nikon fan will find the positives.

Why anyone thinks this camera should be compared to an A1 is beyond me. The A1 had damn sure better be superior, it costs $2500 more. It's also not comparable to the RV, or the A9, or anything else Sony makes. That is the entire point. Nikon has produced a camera that falls nicely into the slot that is not currently occupied by Sony. And the way Sony prices their gear, I'm pretty sure Nikon and Canon are comfortable where they stand.

So in one person's opinion the Nikon falls short. In another's, the RV falls short. They don't like the features of one, and someone else doesn't like the features of another.

I expect almost 100% negativity for anything not Sony here, except for a few people who've been around the block. Conversely, I expect almost 100% positive comments at a site that caters to Nikon users, again, except for those who know.

See how that works?
Exactly!

Let's be real. A fan is a fan. A Sony fan will find the faults and a Nikon fan will find the positives.

Why anyone thinks this camera should be compared to an A1 is beyond me. The A1 had damn sure better be superior, it costs $2500 more. It's also not comparable to the RV, or the A9, or anything else Sony makes. That is the entire point. Nikon has produced a camera that falls nicely into the slot that is not currently occupied by Sony. And the way Sony prices their gear, I'm pretty sure Nikon and Canon are comfortable where they stand.

So in one person's opinion the Nikon falls short. In another's, the RV falls short. They don't like the features of one, and someone else doesn't like the features of another.

I expect almost 100% negativity for anything not Sony here, except for a few people who've been around the block. Conversely, I expect almost 100% positive comments at a site that caters to Nikon users, again, except for those who know.

See how that works?

My main argument was that there is nothing new inside of that camera Timmy. I couldn't care what company it is, I will point out the obvious. I have been and always will be vocal about Sony's abuse of the AI terminology in order to trick the buyer. Doesn't mean the RV and any other camera 'equipped' with this isn't a great camera.

Much like the Z8. A fantastic camera at a sensational price. But still as a selling point, it still isn't actually a small camera, and they've almost entirely re-wrapped their existing camera. The attraction of the Z8 is purely value to performance based solely on an existing platform. If Sony rebranded an A1 they would be scolded because they're seen as a bit of a pioneering brand on the mirrorless scene. But Nikon do that and it's a round of applause.

My main argument was that there is nothing new inside of that camera Timmy. I couldn't care what company it is, I will point out the obvious. I have been and always will be vocal about Sony's abuse of the AI terminology in order to trick the buyer. Doesn't mean the RV and any other camera 'equipped' with this isn't a great camera.

Much like the Z8. A fantastic camera at a sensational price. But still as a selling point, it still isn't actually a small camera, and they've almost entirely re-wrapped their existing camera. The attraction of the Z8 is purely value to performance based solely on an existing platform. If Sony rebranded an A1 they would be scolded because they're seen as a bit of a pioneering brand on the mirrorless scene. But Nikon do that and it's a round of applause.
But while I'd never even consider a Z9 due to the irrational size, I would very much consider a Z8. It isn't all that much different than Sony recycling the A7RII/A7RIII, A7RIV/A7RV or A9/A9II sensors. They added a few more features, updated the processor and issued them as new models. I almost expect them to do the same with the A1.

But while I'd never even consider a Z9 due to the irrational size, I would very much consider a Z8. It isn't all that much different than Sony recycling the A7RII/A7RIII, A7RIV/A7RV or A9/A9II sensors. They added a few more features, updated the processor and issued them as new models. I almost expect them to do the same with the A1.

Got to admit though, even with the overall form factor still being quite large, the Z8 really is sexy as hell!

Well, I used Nikon for years so it's not as though I knew nothing about them all this time. Frankly, I think they were too late to the mirrorless game in the first place and in the second place have made too many mistakes. The Z9 is downright monstrous and the Z8 is not really all that much smaller. IMHO both of them look like recycled DSLRs.

Back