Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Close one of the most hated native birds here are the Noisy Miner.
They can get on the case of many other birds and act in packs and they can move most bird on.
But I feel if you get them in the right everything you stand the chance of getting a nice shot of one of them.
Like I think I have got here of this one. of shots.
Lock Eleven 3-12-2023 (440).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021
  • 559.9 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 640
Lock Eleven 3-12-2023 (444).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 559.9 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 640
Lock Eleven 3-12-2023 (449).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 559.9 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 640
Lock Eleven 3-12-2023 (456).JPG
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 559.9 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 640

Nice Ralph but noisy no I can not hear a thing ;)

Nice shot's Ralph. I think one reason they are disliked by many is that they get sort of mixed in with the non-native species in many peoples minds. That, and as you point out, the pack behaviour.

They're busy birds, never stop hopping around doing stuff. 💥

Nice images mate. ✅

Beautiful shots Ralph.

Nice Ralph but noisy no I can not hear a thing ;)
I must say that I do like this but these buggers are always making noise even when sitting still. And they attack so many birds all the time.

Nice shot's Ralph. I think one reason they are disliked by many is that they get sort of mixed in with the non-native species in many peoples minds. That, and as you point out, the pack behaviour.
My definition is slightly different from what you have got.
I think that it is how they act in a gang like way. And harass any other birds that happens to be close to their area.
And then they they bring on even more noise. But they do take a nice shot. But this is how I see it. And I could be wrong.

Last edited:
They're busy birds, never stop hopping around doing stuff. 💥

Nice images mate. ✅
They make themselves busy by defending the area they deem as their own then they will attack it until it moves completely one. But I have see other birds fight back which put them on the back foot and this I think is nice to see. But I still like getting shots of them at the same time. So thanks for that.

When I heard someone talk about a “noisy miner”, I thought they meant a loud bird who was an Indian myna (there are way too many Indian mynas around here). Looked it up, and this is a native bird AND spelled differently.

When I heard someone talk about a “noisy miner”, I thought they meant a loud bird who was an Indian myna (there are way too many Indian mynas around here). Looked it up, and this is a native bird AND spelled differently.
Pretty much the same here, I'd heard of a Mynah but not the other.

The Indian Myna is not an actual Australian Miner it is an Indian on they are better know as The Common Myna. So they are not related, well as far as I know. We have got 4 locals to different area's in mine it is the Noisy Miner and in other area's there are the Bell Miner and Black-eared Miner and then there is the Yellow-throated Miner. It is thought that the Black-eared and the Yellow-throated have interbred and it is so hard now to find the Black-eared Miner now as they have taken on the Yellow-throated Miners habits. All of this is what I know and learnt over time.
But yer the Common Myna is not a natural of our Miner families. I hope this has helped you out a little bit.

I was aware that the Indian myna was an introduced species. It was the native species I didn't know about.

Still felt a bit less ignorant on Sunday when I overheard someone complaining about "pet-shop birds" in the arid aviary at Healesville - at least I knew that budgies are native to Australia.

I was aware that the Indian myna was an introduced species. It was the native species I didn't know about.

Still felt a bit less ignorant on Sunday when I overheard someone complaining about "pet-shop birds" in the arid aviary at Healesville - at least I knew that budgies are native to Australia.
This one ins an easy one to get wrong as I have seen in on most birds pages I am on or have been on.
So it is easy to do.
Budgies in cages in a totally individual thing I think and will never get into the politics of it all.

Back