Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
ok so across this forum and others I keep viewing bird shots which always seem to be among the best shots I view , so the question is would anyone on here give me advise on setup on the a9 and a7 3 for a base line for bird shots. I normally shoot wildlife with nice levels of contrast etc and I guess that trees and skies are very different thanks in advance

I start with SS as freezing the bird (or having a little wing blur) comes first.

Then choose aperture - wide open to blur the background and foreground or f8 or one smaller for BIF.

ISO goes on auto. The A9 is good for 6400 re grain to my eye but less is better for dynamic range and shadow and highlight work in post. Any exposure compensation you dial in while shooting limits those still further.

I would recommened to watch one of the latest Mark Galer video about settings for action

Although I prefer M to control both aperture and ss, I agree with Mark that working in Av and use Auto-ISO minSS is a good approach. This is a unique feature of Sony, which has a lot of benefits.

There's a lot of demand for settings recipes but before long you have to understand what controls do because every set brings different trade-offs and you choose the one that'll give the best likely result according to the subject and the circumstances.
use Auto-ISO minSS is a good approach. This is a unique feature of Sony
My Nikon also does it.

ok so across this forum and others I keep viewing bird shots which always seem to be among the best shots I view , so the question is would anyone on here give me advise on setup on the a9 and a7 3 for a base line for bird shots. I normally shoot wildlife with nice levels of contrast etc and I guess that trees and skies are very different thanks in advance
Hi Gary, Mark Galer is a good start also look on the gallery page which gives you all the metadata for each picture try these settings yourself and see how you get on. I am sure you will find what suits you as it is all subjective. You always get someone who pixel peeps if you are happy with your work who cares happy practising. and let's see your shots đź‘Ť

Hi thanks for replies I have read articles and viewed Mark Galer, videos etc it seems that my wildlfie settings and custom settings are not that different to your suggestions. I am old school so mainly shoot in manual due mainly to habit and being a control freak and I do not like iso much over 4000 on the a9 but am happier on the a7iii with 6400 or under. so I guess I need to just give it a wirl thanks all

Back