Followers
Following
Name
Dr. John A. Allocca
Country
United States
City/State
Northport, NY
When, I first got the Peak Design Slide, I thought the metal pull levers would stretch my camera, when placed in the bag. So, I added 2" velcro around the metal pull levers. Personally, I set the length once and don't change it.

John

I simply quickly remove the strap, curl it up and stick it in the bag wherever it'll fit conveniently, and then no worries about scratching the camera body or lenses. One of the things I most appreciate about the Peak Design system is how easy it is to remove and put on the straps. Since I have several cameras I also can play mix-and-match with different straps to suit whatever I'm going to be doing with a particular camera. For instance, when shooting macro or tabletop setup at home, I simply connect the wrist strap, but when going outdoors with a different lens or different shooting in mind, easy enough to quickly remove the wrist strap and connect the Slide or the Slide Lite, depending upon which lens I'm intending to use.

I simply quickly remove the strap, curl it up and stick it in the bag wherever it'll fit conveniently, and then no worries about scratching the camera body or lenses. One of the things I most appreciate about the Peak Design system is how easy it is to remove and put on the straps. Since I have several cameras I also can play mix-and-match with different straps to suit whatever I'm going to be doing with a particular camera. For instance, when shooting macro or tabletop setup at home, I simply connect the wrist strap, but when going outdoors with a different lens or different shooting in mind, easy enough to quickly remove the wrist strap and connect the Slide or the Slide Lite, depending upon which lens I'm intending to use.

Do you ever worry about the anchor links breaking?

John

Me too. Those quick release anchors are there for a reason.

Peak design gave some statistics of how rare it is for the anchors to break. But, that still means it will break for someone. I'm carrying about $10k worth of heavy equipment when I go hiking. Since I only adjust the length once, I may use the Sony strap that comes with the camera.

John

Peak design gave some statistics of how rare it is for the anchors to break. But, that still means it will break for someone. I'm carrying about $10k worth of heavy equipment when I go hiking. Since I only adjust the length once, I may use the Sony strap that comes with the camera.

John
I used the strap supplied by the manufacturer with all my Canons, all my Nikons (although I tried a third party strap that was a disappointment), and the first couple of Sonys.

The straps were never brilliant, but the quality deteriorated over the years. The last Sony strap I bothered with had sort-of sharp edges - it didn't literally cut into my skin, but it hurt after a while. I tried a Peak Design, and was impressed.

I have a few Leash straps (fine for body + light lens, like my Voigtlander APO Lanthars, and in the studio), I have a couple of Slide Lites (good general-purpose), and a Slide (originally for the 200-600, but now also the 70-200). All of them are more comfortable (rounded edges), and better load bearing. I generally carry the straps separately, and choose the strap I want to use based on which lens I'm using.

The anchors are rated at 90kg, I believe. Peak Design say you should keep an eye on them, and replace them if the yellow core is visible. I haven't reached that point on any of mine, but I have them attached to the triangle "rings" on my Sony cameras, so they aren't sliding around or abrading on the mounting point - I think Peak Design are being careful because some people attach them to a lug where they may be moving against the lug and abrading that way. I'm not worried about them breaking under load (none of my gear comes close to 90kg!), and I haven't seen the slightest trace of abrasion yet. I think switching straps as I do, I'm more likely to notice any abrasion before it comes close to being a risk. Peak Design supply 4 anchors with each strap, so I have plenty of spares, and it's easy to buy more. So no, I'm not worried about them breaking.

BTW: the first third party strap I tried used a mounting like the manufacturer supplied straps, but the narrow webbing they used was slippery, and it pulled through the part that's like a buckle - the camera started to slip and I caught it. Nasty!

Do you ever worry about the anchor links breaking?

John
When I first heard about Peak Design a few years ago I wondered about the sturdiness of the anchor links, but over time Peak Design has improved them and they now have a visual cue with the yellow inner part showing as a signal that it is time to put on a fresh anchor link and discard the old one. I have not had any issues with these at all, and I've got plenty of extra anchor links to swap in if I experience problems with any. When I carry any of my cameras, regardless of which lens I may have on, I always hold on to the camera body/lens, too, never letting it simply dangle or hang down. The full weight of the camera and lens is never really a factor, then, as the strap and the anchor links are not bearing that.

As for using a camera manufacturer's strap -- I haven't done that in years. Aside from them usually being uncomfortable, I would just as soon not advertise to the whole world that I'm carrying and using an expensive camera. That's just asking for trouble. For many years I used the Op/Tech brand of straps, which I like because of their unobtrusiveness and also their ability to take some of the weight off one's neck. It was only just over a year ago that I made the big switch to Peak Design and I had heard so much about that brand from other photographers and also had been able to ask questions and get my concerns allayed that one day while waiting for my A1 I decided to go ahead and get a Peak Design strap, just to see what all the excitement was about.... I figured that even if I didn't like it all that much or was still concerned about the anchor links and safety, that I could put the strap on one of my other cameras.

Heh! I got the thing, I think it was the Slide Lite, and tried it on a couple of my cameras and was charmed by the ease of connectivity thanks to the anchor links. I quickly realized, though, that while it would be fine for use with some of my smaller, lighter prime lenses on the camera body, that it wouldn't be a good choice when going out shooting with my 100-400mm.....so I bought the Slide, too. And then I decided to try out the leash on my small compact RX100 VII -- works a treat! -- but then also thought, "huh, I'll bet that wrist thingy would be good on this camera, too...." I had fun trying all the different straps on the different cameras and deciding which would work best in which situations on which camera bodies. So, yeah, by the time I actually got my hands on an A1, she had a nice collection of Peak Design straps waiting for her to try on! LOL!

Right now I've got the wrist strap on my A7R IV, which I am using mostly in the house for tabletop and macro photography, and I've got the leash on the RX100 VII, and for the moment, the Slide Lite on the RX10 IV, although at times I also use the wrist strap on it. The A1, which has been mainly going outdoors and walking around with the 100-400mm on her, usually wears the full-sized Slide.

I am definitely hooked on the Peak Design system, which really is a brilliant approach to the whole camera strap situation.

Last edited:
I had another thought. B&H sells a package of 4 anchors (version 4) for $9.95. Maybe to be on safe side, I should change anchors once a year.

John

I had another thought. B&H sells a package of 4 anchors (version 4) for $9.95. Maybe to be on safe side, I should change anchors once a year.

John

You can.

I have had the same pair of anchors on my A1 for a year and a half now, with no sign of wear, even though I am attaching and detaching straps weekly.

I like my slide but hoping to get a spyder holster! Does anyone have any experience with that?

I like my slide but hoping to get a spyder holster! Does anyone have any experience with that?
I just got (Yesterday) the Tenba Axis holster. I like that it is expandable and it has Molle straps all around it.

John

Back