Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I probably fit the definition of Peak Design fanboy. I have 4 or 5 of their products and they seem pretty high quality to me. Whether or not I'm a fan though, I like the idea of their latest kickstarter: the micro clutch. Their original clutch fits a bigger camera, like a A7IV or Canon R3/5/6, and it goes over the back of the right hand to keep the palm pressed against the camera body.
pdcl3.jpg

This simply doesn't fit compact camera bodies like the A6XXX series; I even think the A7C is a poor match to that camera clutch.

Enter the Miro Clutch.

Screenshot-2023-05-16-at-20.17.00.png

At first, I thought the Micro Clutch was a joke. It looks a bit funny, holding 2-3 fingers against the side of the compact camera body instead of trying to wrap around the back of the hand. From the promotional shots, it looks like this works well with keeping thumb and index finger free for all camera controls. As usual the design team seem to have thought things through and have 2 styles of base plates to chose from, both of which house a swivel for the strap. There is also a clever PD arca-swiss plate included to fit on top of that base plate.

I've never backed anything on Kickstarter, but I think this will be worth investing in:

The only comment I have seen online that I agree with though is this: If they were designing something that needed a baseplate, why not make that baseplate arca-swiss in and of itself, rather than needing to add the PD baseplate on top of the micro-clutch's plate.

Mate I really love the idea of these straps and I have a clutch laying in the bottom of my miscellaneous camera stuff. I put it on for five minutes and just couldn't stand looking at it. I wish I wasn't so pedantic because I'd love to use it but I can't stand anything extra hanging off the camera. One of the first things I do with a new camera is remove the little side triangle key ring things, much like a lens hood they make my skin crawl..! 😄

This micro clutch one although weird looking would be a very practical bit of kit I reckon! For most people except for me unfortunately... 🥇

Mate I really love the idea of these straps and I have a clutch laying in the bottom of my miscellaneous camera stuff. I put it on for five minutes and just couldn't stand looking at it. I wish I wasn't so pedantic because I'd love to use it but I can't stand anything extra hanging off the camera. One of the first things I do with a new camera is remove the little side triangle key ring things, much like a lens hood they make my skin crawl..! 😄

This micro clutch one although weird looking would be a very practical bit of kit I reckon! For most people except for me unfortunately... 🥇
Haha bro, I get it, its goofy. But if it works, I'm backing it. I often use my camera without the straps and I know I'm gambling with my camera.

This is an a6400 with my lens of choice, the Tamron 17-70. Its a front heavy setup and as you'll see in the next photo, my grip on the camera often relies heavily on middle and ring fingers, there's literallyno place for the pinky...
20230517_173957.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 800

20230517_174009.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

I don't like wrist cuffs, so this micro clutch thing might actually make sense on the APSC body.

And yes, I am looking forward to a slightly larger grip on the a6700 :LOL:

This is an a6400 with my lens of choice, the Tamron 17-70. Its a front heavy setup and as you'll see in the next photo, my grip on the camera often relies heavily on middle and ring fingers, there's literallyno place for the pinky...
View attachment 38963
View attachment 38964

I don't like wrist cuffs, so this micro clutch thing might actually make sense on the APSC body.

And yes, I am looking forward to a slightly larger grip on the a6700 :LOL:

Look at those sexy hands! Has Peak Designs found a new model! 😄

One thing I appreciate with my new camera is the slightly larger grip, it makes it feel more secure that's for sure! Let me tell you no matter what our missus's tell us, every millimetre counts in my opinion! 💪

Just to update the group, the kickstarter campaign was fully backed and ended. My micro-clutch should ship in the next week or two.
For anyone interested in getting one, pick the "L" model which has a baseplate suitable for A6xxx or A7 bodies.

My hand would look like this after trying one I think! Those tiny grips....
kkolqgrqdiaz.jpg

First review I've seen (a mixed bag, but overall positive):

Mine should arrive in a week, then I'll give my own opinion for the Sony APSC folks.

First review I've seen (a mixed bag, but overall positive):

Mine should arrive in a week, then I'll give my own opinion for the Sony APSC folks.
Curious to learn your experience! Have been doubting this and/or the wrist strap myself!

Just got it, and put it on my camera.
Installation was a bit fiddly but they have good instructions, these Peak Design folks.
I opted to add the tripod plate, once again encouraging me to keep the PD ecosystem of tripod and capture clip.
I find that I preferred adjusting the strap to fit 3 over 3 fingers, rather than the 2 as shown in marketing picture above. PD says as much in their instructions: "L-plate users may find three fingers more comfortable than two."

I'll upload pics from my cellphone shortly.

I found that I can carry a camera with my fingers curled around the grip, hanging at my side and the clutch around my wrist with no fatigue. This of course depends on a reasonably sized lens. Let us know how it works out.

20230713_142408.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 500

20230713_142624.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 500

20230713_142422.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 500

20230713_150110.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/40 sec
  • ISO 640

20230713_150302.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 640

20230713_150224.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/24 sec
  • ISO 800

20230713_150721.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 500

One thing I don't like is that my c1 button is now harder to reach with my index finger, but I'm sure that's a minor thing.

The camera does feel more secure in hand, but do you "need" it as an APSC user? Nah.

Chris I have the first version of this ie not the micro but did not use it for very long mate, maybe the micro might be better

I found that I can carry a camera with my fingers curled around the grip, hanging at my side and the clutch around my wrist with no fatigue. This of course depends on a reasonably sized lens. Let us know how it works out.
I'm going to use it with my heavier Tamron lens and see how much it helps.

Chris I have the first version of this ie not the micro but did not use it for very long mate, maybe the micro might be better
That's because you're incompetent. 😘

The original is better (wraps around the back of the hand) but sized for a full frame body. This one is only designed to support the back of your fingers as you grip the smaller frame of an APSC body. I think it will sell well for slim camera bodies like the ZV series or other camera manufacturers that don't have much of a grip.

@FowlersFreeTime now that you have the clutch for a month, how is your experience with it?
It is like second nature now to slip my fingers through the microclutch and around the camera body. Hasn't interfered with any of my attempts at family photo time. I think street photographers and event-focused photographers will love it. What I DO want to try, and haven't yet, is putting it on the tripod with the integrated PD arca-swiss plate.

Two observations:
  • Its kind of a nuisance to have to slip the baseplate off to access battery and memory card on the a6400, especially since these batteries do not last very long and often need to be changed on a longer photo session. On the bright side, if I upgrade to the a6700 as planned, the battery is bigger and the memory card slot is on the side, so I probably won't need to detach the microclutch's baseplate often.
  • If you use L-brackets, this solution is not for you. I haven't been able to do any landscape photos since I got the microclutch, but I cannot see any way that you could combine an L-bracket, halfcage, or full cage with the microclutch without it looking like Frankenstein's monster.

It is like second nature now to slip my fingers through the microclutch and around the camera body. Hasn't interfered with any of my attempts at family photo time. I think street photographers and event-focused photographers will love it. What I DO want to try, and haven't yet, is putting it on the tripod with the integrated PD arca-swiss plate.

Two observations:
  • Its kind of a nuisance to have to slip the baseplate off to access battery and memory card on the a6400, especially since these batteries do not last very long and often need to be changed on a longer photo session. On the bright side, if I upgrade to the a6700 as planned, the battery is bigger and the memory card slot is on the side, so I probably won't need to detach the microclutch's baseplate often.
  • If you use L-brackets, this solution is not for you. I haven't been able to do any landscape photos since I got the microclutch, but I cannot see any way that you could combine an L-bracket, halfcage, or full cage with the microclutch without it looking like Frankenstein's monster.
Thank you! Sounds like you made a good purchase!

One question I had was whether you are able to 'hold' the camera by relaxing your fingers? Or do you have to grip the camera still even though your fingers are through the clutch?

One question I had was whether you are able to 'hold' the camera by relaxing your fingers? Or do you have to grip the camera still even though your fingers are through the clutch?
I had to go get the camera to try that out!
If you straighten your fingers intentionally, you would drop your camera.
However...
If you merely relax your grip and let your hand fall to your side, what you find is that the PD strap covers the second joint of middle and ring fingers and they naturally curl around the grip of the camera. Effectively you would end up holding the camera by your fingertips, and it didn't feel so precarious with a smaller lens attached. With the Tamron 17-70, it felt a bit sketchy, but I could still do this "relaxed" hold.

However...
If you merely relax your grip and let your hand fall to your side, what you find is that the PD strap covers the second joint of middle and ring fingers and they naturally curl around the grip of the camera. Effectively you would end up holding the camera by your fingertips, and it didn't feel so precarious with a smaller lens attached. With the Tamron 17-70, it felt a bit sketchy, but I could still do this "relaxed" hold.
I always walk like that using the PD Cuff. I actually did it today with the Tamron 50-400 and NO clutch, I forgot to put it in the bag! :eek:

However...
Thanks for testing this out!
I always walk like that using the PD Cuff. I actually did it today with the Tamron 50-400 and NO clutch, I forgot to put it in the bag! :eek:
And thank you as well!

Yesterday I walked around with the Slide Light around my forearm and the camera was resting in my somewhat relaxed fingers. It was not ideal.

Now I'm doubting between the clutch and the cuff...

I meant no 'cuff'.

If you have a full sized body I'd say the cuff. If APS-C, then the clutch.

I'll backed it, and I've tried on the A1, and I don't like it.

Maybe I should try it on the A6700?

Oh yeah mate, that's not meant for a "bigger" camera like the A1 or A7 lineup. Try it on the a6700.
Might even fit the A7C for anyone out there who finds that grip lacking.

Oh yeah mate, that's not meant for a "bigger" camera like the A1 or A7 lineup. Try it on the a6700.
Might even fit the A7C for anyone out there who finds that grip lacking.
Well, it’s supposed to be for all, but I think you’re right.

Update: I've had it on the A6700 for the last month. I will edit this post with pictures.

20231229_153837.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 64

20231229_153830.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/120 sec
  • ISO 64

20231229_153851.jpg
  • Galaxy S23+
  • 5.4 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/180 sec
  • ISO 100

What I like: still a secure feeling to the grip. A6700's battery doesn't need to be changed as often as the a6400, so the battery door being blocked is no longer an issue. Same with the SD card, which is now on the left side of the a6700 camera body.

What I don't like: On the a6400 I had access to C1 button right beside the shutter button, now on the a6700 there are C2 and Video buttons behind the shutter button, but the microclutch makes it difficult to reach those with my index finger.

What's still weird: I still have no place to rest the pinky finger, so I curl it under the camera. Also, minor thing, but it bugs me a bit that once the PD arca-swiss plate is on the PD micro clutch, the camera cannot sit flat on a tabletop.

Back