Followers
Following
Name
Bob
Country
United States
City/State
So Cal
Just curious why most here have their name on their images. Are you concerned with copyright, image stealing or unauthorized use of the image. Many years ago I did that on my personal images, but stopped because I sort of came to the conclusion, that I could not control anything i post. In the 45 plus years of shooting for the entertainment industry, my images have been stolen, misused and sold tens of thousands of times. Even back in the day before rampant internet abuse ,there was not much one can do. I know wedding/family portrait photographers use to watermark their proofs so clients could not make prints on their own, but even that has changed where they just give up the images most times now. A funny and strange thing now is that having worked at this for so long, when there is some sort of notice of illness or death with one actor or another, many times it will be my head shot of them that they use on the news. Have no idea from whom they got the image but most of time a search on google can find those stolen images.

Many years ago it was not so easy to protect copyright but with the advent of the internet etc
and electronic tagging it is much easier to track images and ID copyright infringement..

Each to his own, but as you indicate most on the forum protect their images with watermark
details on their photos as well as metadate including photographer and copyright.

Many photo competitions these days also run expansive copyright scans to prevent copyright
infringement.

Understand tracking the image, but pursuing legal recourse seems like a futile effort. Even some of my biggest clients with huge resources gave up chasing down image theft.
I get why a policing a competition makes sense but other wise I just do not care much anymore pursuing my stolen images.

After the first time I sold an image I had a logo made up, but I have pretty much never used it because I think it makes the image look dirty. It's like a stain on a white shirt to me...
I guess that was my thought it sort of distracts form the image and I wonder how much the image is protected by it.

I don't bother with everyday stuff but I add a logo to my drag racing photos. The reason is simple: My images get posted with those from a half dozen other photographers. The track itself requires me to add their logo(s) for marketing when they use one for an advertisement/announcement. The images get sold to drivers/owners/fans. If someone wants to buy one, they need to know who made it.

As for copyright, trying to protect your property by adding a name, logo, or watermark to an image may preserve your rights, but the cost to protect those rights would be so prohibitive most people couldn't respond in a meaningful way.

I've found my shots in a WWII historical video from the UK, car show advertisements, etc.. The only ones who have permission is the drag strip. I used to get really pissed until I realized that there isn't a damned thing I can do about it. At least I get photo credit most of the time.

The interesting thing with photo credits is most of the time my photo credit is correct, but there are times when my image has been credited to another shooter and even stranger I have seen my credit on images I did not take.

The interesting thing with photo credits is most of the time my photo credit is correct, but there are times when my image has been credited to another shooter and even stranger I have seen my credit on images I did not take.
Accept the royalty check! :p

I share mine in places where there is chance of them being pinched, so I always put a copyright on, though it's easily removed on a jpeg. I do have it in the exif as well though.

There's a chap on Twitter who post birds from China. He is either the most awesome photographer I have seen, or he shares the work of others. I wish he'd include the name of the photographer, even it is always him.

I put my name on some of mine because lightroom makes it easy to do, and one day, someone might see something they like, and my hobby could turn some cash over. If they cant find me, they wont.

that's fair enough, and I have no such motivation. I do get irritated when images are posted without due credit though.

When I first arrived here, I noticed that names on images looked like part of the culture here.
I did some digging, and it seems photographers put their names on their photos
  • to protect their intellectual property
  • for advertising
  • to look professional
As for the first two points above.
It turns out it's easy to remove watermarks from photos.

Since identity means little to me, I long ago stopped trying to protect my intellectual property. As for advertising, I have no use for that. However, I hoped I might fit in better here if I put some kind of signature or watermark on my photos, so I added a subtle watermark.

In the end, I forgot about it, except for a mildly nagging thought that I should go into Capture One and figure out how to turn off that feature.

Here are a few things I've come across today.

I have just turned off the watermark feature in Capture One, but I still have contact information buried in the image file, but I can't remember how I got that in there.

Last edited:
I don't watermark my images, but I'm not a professional shooter.

Sadly, many watermarks (especially the discreet ones) are easily removed by the new "AI" object removal tools we see in photo-processing software.

Depending on context, I think watermarks can be useful in identifying the photographer.

In my view watermarks on images, as well as photographer/copyright holder rights in the metadata are
appropriate......in an AI world I agree, copyright issues will become more difficult and confused but without
such precautions, for sure you are in no man's land, if, as a photographer, your critical images are plagiarised
by unscrupulous ethical others.

In a world in which media posts can very quickly go viral, would you wish to be in a position to argue copyright,
with no legal identification in place, after some unscrupulous dick head coins it in on the back of your original
work...???

Like most matters in photography it ultimately comes down to individual choice/preference.......i know upon which
side of the court bench i would prefer to be.

I like to have at least some credit for having taken the photograph. Mine are used by quite a few different organizations.

One thing I have heard of is this talk about watermarking our images.
There are reasons why many do them and just as many why others don't.

But I never heard of anyone ever complaining about people signing their painting's.
Why it is just another form of art so this is my question.
Why are more not complaining about painting's being signed.

And just to let you know I watermark my photo's, reason why = I am proud of them.
I know they will never stop them from being copied or stolen but I don't care about that.
It's my work and I want people to know who took it and this is all.

And just to let you know I watermark my photo's, reason why = I am proud of them.
I know they will never stop them from being copied or stolen but I don't care about that.
It's my work and I want people to know who took it and this is all.
Can't argue with that Ralph!!

I made a nice logo, I add to my print outs. I keep it very tiny and only about 10% opacity. It is almost like “where is Waldo”. When I signed up with this forum, I decided to leave it off since nobody cares about watermarks as seen on those AI generated pictures.

Back