Sony A6100 Question Regarding EVF on A6100

Moritat

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
B. Walters
I have an A7riii which I love, but am considering an A6100 for when I want to go light. I think my needs are met with this camera as I just want a great sensor and solid AF. I don’t need many of the extra features of the other A6 cameras and I want to keep costs down. I only shoot stills in RAW only and do not shoot action. Stabilization would be nice, but that would drive up the cost. My only concern is I sometimes use vintage lenses and need a camera with an excellent magnification tool for focusing (I’m not a fan of focus peaking). I know the A6100 has a diminished EVF. Is this EVF still good enough for precise focusing through magnification? If it is, the A6100 might be the best choice. If not, I may have to consider another model. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
I have an a6400, same EVF as the a6100. When in manual focus mode, I have peaking turned on and magnification assistance. Honestly I don't remember if I set up the latter or if it came that way from factory, but it was sufficient to use manual only lenses or MF mode on an AF lens. When its zoomed in like that for manual focus assistance, you can use the control dial on the back like a joystick to move your magnified view over other parts of the subject. Works great on a tripod, but kinda useless for moving targets. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.
I have an a6400, same EVF as the a6100. When in manual focus mode, I have peaking turned on and magnification assistance. Honestly I don't remember if I set up the latter or if it came that way from factory, but it was sufficient to use manual only lenses or MF mode on an AF lens. When its zoomed in like that for manual focus assistance, you can use the control dial on the back like a joystick to move your magnified view over other parts of the subject. Works great on a tripod, but kinda useless for moving targets. Hope this helps.
Very helpful. Thanks!

Back