Brian Nicholson
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Penicuik, Midlothian
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hi everyone,

Through the week I got a warning that my PC memory was close to full....

My workflow is I import the ARW files into my PC, then I import to lightroom as DNG then edit and save as Jpegs.

Is there worth in retaining the ARW files as I already have the DNG's or better to delete the DNG's to help manage my storage.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

In theory there is no benefit in saving both file forms. As a general rule however, after filtering my arw keeper files
From my shot files I save the generally much lower keepers in my external ssd filing system, just in case I need them
on another day and as a indendant file store for key files and then process the keepers more or less as you have indicated through light room or photoshop as per my processed file needs.

Unless the some images are truly terrible, I keep all the raws, edited and processed into working Photoshop files with Cature One and Photoshop into final PSDs and JPEGs, on a few different hard drives, I only keep files on the computer to edit and process and then the go to an external. I use Photo Mechanic to "organize" the files, never liked Lightroom. I like keeping all my raws because sometimes I change my mind on what I like and what I am looking for. If all of your raw files are processed into DNGs, I do not think you need to keep both types but I would at least keep two copies of either files on some externals

I don’t us PS, so a question. Why do you import as DNG instead of just starting from RAW? Wouldn’t that save some space?

Sometimes I have to use Affinity for NR and then export as PNG so I can finish in Darktable. In those cases I save the original RAW, the PNG, and the resulting jpeg.

Last edited:
I don’t us PS, so a question. Why do you import as DNG instead of just starting from RAW? Wouldn’t that save some space?

Sometimes I have to use Affinity for NR and then export as PNG so I can finish in Darktable. In those cases I save the original RAW, the PNG, and the resulting Joey.
I don't think Lightroom has that ability to import as Raw , mind you it's been a while since I checked as I do it on auto pilot...will check that ... cheers

I normally convert any RAW keepers to TIFF which I can process on any of the older programs I have and delete the RAW. I suspect DNG would be similar.

Hi everyone,

Through the week I got a warning that my PC memory was close to full....

My workflow is I import the ARW files into my PC, then I import to lightroom as DNG then edit and save as Jpegs.

Is there worth in retaining the ARW files as I already have the DNG's or better to delete the DNG's to help manage my storage.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
While I’m not currently short of space, I’ve thought the same thing. Can we delete the DNG file once we have the jpeg? I assume we don’t lose the work done in LR if we delete the DNG?

if you work on the ARW (Sony Raw file) in lightroom you retain the ability to export as DNG, TIFF or a range of file formats under the
file-export-menu item after developing.

The work done or changes to the original ARW file in lightroom is retained as a XMP file and will be visable in the original ARW
file folder alongside the original ARW file shown as a blank white icon and the orriginal ARW file name below it.

If you develop your ARW file in lightroom and export as a jpg or other non ARW file format your original ARW file will still be
visable in the original file folder with its XMP file (very small byte/bit size) and you have the option to copy the export file direct to
photoshop for editing and also to your original ARW file folder in the newly exported format.....

Hope this helps to explain the options you have to retain, change and/or export alternative file forms in lightroom....the options to save
your original or export as required are wide and variable and very much open to personal workflow and storage preferences.

I pretty much only ever keep the PSD file and a JPEG after I have processed my images. They still take up a good bit of space, but less than keeping the DNG or ARW files.

I don't think Lightroom has that ability to import as Raw , mind you it's been a while since I checked as I do it on auto pilot...will check that ... cheers
I have made a practice of converting my Raw files to DNG's using Adobe's DNG converter before importing into Lightroom, but recently when asked, Mark Galer advised me that if I'm using a current version of Lightroom, which I am, then I am not accomplishing anything. I shot the Supermoon this week and I just imported the ARW (Raw) files. I will now just save the step. This is not the only example I could find of me wasting time. 😢

Last edited:
After culling, I ALWAYS keep the RAW files of the photos I want to keep. I've only been using Photoshop for 30 years so there's still much to learn and I've often gone back to older photos to re-process with newer knowledge and software. Hard drive space is cheap compared with the time and priceless opportunities invested in making the photos. The RAW files are the most malleable and will yield the best results when extensive processing is needed.

After culling, I ALWAYS keep the RAW files of the photos I want to keep. I've only been using Photoshop for 30 years so there's still much to learn and I've often gone back to older photos to re-process with newer knowledge and software. Hard drive space is cheap compared with the time and priceless opportunities invested in making the photos. The RAW files are the most malleable and will yield the best results when extensive processing is needed.
Agreed.........i found the release of newer better software (example topaz denoise) allowed me to recover a number of my past/older images
to much higher quality levels which in itself justifies hanging on to key Raw files....

Sometimes I have to use Affinity for NR and then export as PNG so I can finish in Darktable. In those cases I save the original RAW, the PNG, and the resulting jpeg.
Hi it was what I learnt on a lightroom course, can't recall the reason for it.

While I’m not currently short of space, I’ve thought the same thing. Can we delete the DNG file once we have the jpeg? I assume we don’t lose the work done in LR if we delete the DNG?
Yeah I think it adds an extension to retain the history

if you work on the ARW (Sony Raw file) in lightroom you retain the ability to export as DNG, TIFF or a range of file formats under the
file-export-menu item after developing.

The work done or changes to the original ARW file in lightroom is retained as a XMP file and will be visable in the original ARW
file folder alongside the original ARW file shown as a blank white icon and the orriginal ARW file name below it.

If you develop your ARW file in lightroom and export as a jpg or other non ARW file format your original ARW file will still be
visable in the original file folder with its XMP file (very small byte/bit size) and you have the option to copy the export file direct to
photoshop for editing and also to your original ARW file folder in the newly exported format.....

Hope this helps to explain the options you have to retain, change and/or export alternative file forms in lightroom....the options to save
your original or export as required are wide and variable and very much open to personal workflow and storage preferences.
Thanks a lot....that's very helpful 😊

I’m a hopeless collector of stuff that will never see the light of day again.

I’m sure I’ve got some Zip disks somewhere, and some giant floppy disks.

Me too!

why am I not suprised Gaz 🤣

Back