Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
For those that actually use a Loupe to check their sensor for dust, which device do you use and recommend? I have been looking for a Micnova MQ-7X and I'm having truble finding one. Has anyone used this device on their Sony Alpha Camera?

Is that a thing for digital? Thought a picture on a white background highlighted dirt on sensor…

My low tech solution is to put on reading glasses and take a moderately powerful LED flashlight to examine the sensor.

Stop down as far as possible and take a photo of something plain, like a sheet of paper or clear blue sky. I've heard a computer screen will work but never tried it. This photo is why I decided to learn how to clean a sensor. :eek:

P1050037.JPG
  • DC-G9
  • 49.0 mm
  • ƒ/20
  • 10/2000 sec
  • ISO 200

For those that actually use a Loupe to check their sensor for dust, which device do you use and recommend? I have been looking for a Micnova MQ-7X and I'm having truble finding one. Has anyone used this device on their Sony Alpha Camera?
I have the artic butter fly loupe but I bought it used so no clue where to buy one , but will add that yes they help with sensor cleaning but you obviously have to clean that first and when you see all the tiny marks on your sensor that dont show in your shots normally it can drive you crazy.

when you see all the tiny marks on your sensor that dont show in your shots normally it can drive you crazy.
If they don't show in my shots, I don't care. Many a nice photo have been made with a few specs of dust on a sensor. Unless you have to stop way down into diffraction territory, you'd have no idea it was even there.

Hello Guys, I'm the OP. Thank you for your inputs but I do have a comment to those that don't think they need a Loupe. I'm thinking you are not as old as I am. In my younger days I was blessed with 20-15 vision. That ship has long since sailed. I was fortunate to find this Loupe and I purchased it. I got lucky on two counts, It works well and I drive past the vendor, Micro-Tools on a regular basis. I bought all of my supplies right there. One other thing is that this vendor is owned by Curt Fargo who wrote a paper on cleaning digital cameras. He also owns some other companies such as "The Dust Patrol".

Hello Guys, I'm the OP. Thank you for your inputs but I do have a comment to those that don't think they need a Loupe. I'm thinking you are not as old as I am. In my younger days I was blessed with 20-15 vision. That ship has long since sailed. I was fortunate to find this Loupe and I purchased it. I got lucky on two counts, It works well and I drive past the vendor, Micro-Tools on a regular basis. I bought all of my supplies right there. One other thing is that this vendor is owned by Curt Fargo who wrote a paper on cleaning digital cameras. He also owns some other companies such as "The Dust Patrol".
jeff looks like a nice bit kit and looks better than the one I have

Back