Shooting a black car close to sunrise to sunrise.

LeDave

Followers
Following
Name
Dave Le
Country
United States
City/State
Minneapolis
I'm going to be shooting a RS5 coming up sometime in the next 1 to 30 days. I am planning on using a Sigma 24-70 2.8 ART and a 70-200 f4 G OSS. I have a tripod and a incandescent light meter, Sekonic L-358. I have not shot a photo of a car in years! Like literally, several years. So you can call me a newbie, what are some advice from you guys? Thanks!

• Fill flash.
  • If you have a 20 or <, take it. Not sure why you're taking the 70-200, will you be shooting from a distance? I shoot very large auto shows with the 17-28.
  • Don't shoot overtight frames. Leave the car some room to breathe on the whole-car beauty shots.
  • Get plenty of detail shots. Wheels, interior, dash, grillwork, etc.
  • Dutch tilts can add some nice drama, used sparingly.
  • WATCH YOUR REFLECTION. You'll get home and upload a bunch of shots only to see your own mug in the paint.
  • Try to catch some sunstars on chrome twinkles.

• Fill flash.
  • If you have a 20 or <, take it. Not sure why you're taking the 70-200, will you be shooting from a distance? I shoot very large auto shows with the 17-28.
  • Don't shoot overtight frames. Leave the car some room to breathe on the whole-car beauty shots.
  • Get plenty of detail shots. Wheels, interior, dash, grillwork, etc.
  • Dutch tilts can add some nice drama, used sparingly.
  • WATCH YOUR REFLECTION. You'll get home and upload a bunch of shots only to see your own mug in the paint.
  • Try to catch some sunstars on chrome twinkles.
Thanks Brownie. I only have three lenses, one is dormant which is the kit lens. The other two are the 24-70 and 70-200. I am going to shoot his car with him in it as a portrait with the 70-200. The 24-70 is with just the car alone. How am I going to fill the whole car? Will the Godox 860II-S be strong enough? I only have that as a light source aside from ambient lighting. Thanks again.

You only need to fill the deepest shadows on the car. You don't need (or want) to light the whole thing up.

Hope it turns out well mate. Looking forward to seeing the results if you are going to share them.

Make sure it's not driving at you :D
What others have said, especially Brownie, the reflection thing, and also watch errant reflections/refractions from light sources.

Back