Sony A9 II Shooting with flash, set to mechanical shutter vs auto

runyanp

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Peg
Shooting with a Sony A9ii and Godex flash. I am wanting to use off camera flash on flash stand with trigger on my camera. Is there any reason to set camera to mechanical shutter rather than auto? My thoughts are that on auto it would be one less setting to deal with and the camera would switch back to electronic shutter automatically as soon as I shut off the flash. Right or wrong? Any advice appreciated, totally intimidated by flash.

I used to use auto, but I did not like being caught off guard hearing the mechanical shutter when I was expecting silent operation without the flash. Guess it might depend on whether you use sound with electronic shutter, so it is less of a surprise if the mechanical trips instead of the electronic.

I thought the A9 and A9 II required mechanical shutter for flash? The A1 is the only one supporting electronic shutter with flash, isn’t it? (a situation which will probably change with the A9 III, though). So won’t auto choose mechanical shutter if you are using flash?

(I don’t think I used flash with the A9 II when I owned one, hence my confusion)

The A9 and A9ii requires mechanical shutter for flash and hence the reason for asking about using Auto. Using Auto will cause the camera to switch to mechanical shutter when a flash is being used.

The A9 and A9ii requires mechanical shutter for flash and hence the reason for asking about using Auto. Using Auto will cause the camera to switch to mechanical shutter when a flash is being used.
Thanks, that what I thought. I will switch it to auto.

Back