Snow

Janice

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
Relatively new to shooting in manual mode and adjusting all my settings. Am going to Yellowstone National Park in February. How do I avoid the photos of the snow having a blue tint? Is it related to White Balance? Do I need to adjust it manually or could I leave it on 'auto white balance'? I shoot with the a6600 and plan to pack my 70-350G and my 16-50 3.5-5.6 Zeiss. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Janice, few pointers that you may find helpful.......I am sure many of our forum members from more northern climates
will be able to add to or expand on this :-

When photographing snow compensate brightness effect effect(grey snow) in camera with exposure compensation of 0.5 to 2 stops. Dependant how bright snow is.

2. For blue cast effects during day or outside golden hour change white balance to cloudy or shade sequentially to eliminate effect.

3. Be wary of fringing or Chroma- remove in lightroom/photoshop - cheaper lens more chroma and chroma is more prominent in winter.

4. Use a tripod where possible

5. Snowfalls - be careful focus in not stolen by flakes and subject not focused.....use long exposures for streaks or increase ISO to freeze flakes.

Hi Janice, few pointers that you may find helpful.......I am sure many of our forum members from more northern climates
will be able to add to or expand on this :-

When photographing snow compensate brightness effect effect(grey snow) in camera with exposure compensation of 0.5 to 2 stops. Dependant how bright snow is.

2. For blue cast effects during day or outside golden hour change white balance to cloudy or shade sequentially to eliminate effect.

3. Be wary of fringing or Chroma- remove in lightroom/photoshop - cheaper lens more chroma and chroma is more prominent in winter.

4. Use a tripod where possible

5. Snowfalls - be careful focus in not stolen by flakes and subject not focused.....use long exposures for streaks or increase ISO to freeze flakes.
Thank you for this information!! I definitely will use it this winter and future winters too.

Back