So the summer here in the UK seems to be a wash out again so who shoots in the rain

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
As title it is a wash out in the UK it has been the wettest July in years June was not much better, and August we are in day 5 and it has rained every day so far and have Gale warnings today for much of the UK. So who shoots in the rain regardless of where you are in the world and is the Sony kit up to it , and what tips do you have for us members

There was a time when I used to go to nature reserves with covered hides, but the problem is light and you end up shooting 10k ISO and in the end I gave up, because I never kept a shot in the end. I'm too old to be getting drenched.
Kit wise, these days, everything is sealed to a point, but I always used a rain over as well, though the 200 600, being internal zoom, is far less likely to be affected. Of course, you need a hood to keep rain off of the front glass. Good job it doesn't rain in Oz :D

There was a time when I used to go to nature reserves with covered hides, but the problem is light and you end up shooting 10k ISO and in the end I gave up, because I never kept a shot in the end. I'm too old to be getting drenched.
Kit wise, these days, everything is sealed to a point, but I always used a rain over as well, though the 200 600, being internal zoom, is far less likely to be affected. Of course, you need a hood to keep rain off of the front glass. Good job it doesn't rain in Oz :D
Yep same here Kev not going to risk the rain anymore, I lost a Sony 70-400 g2 to damp back in the a-mount era when they were a couple of 2k, and the weather across the globe is nuts at the moment

Had my A7C and a Tamron lens (that claims to be weather sealed) get pretty wet in on and off rain for 5-6 hours and all was OK. Wouldn’t make a habit of it but gave me some faith in the claims of weather resistance. That day was watching motor racing and I got much more interesting shots in the wet, including reflection of light off the track, than I did on the dry day. So maybe head to a great British motorway or similar!

Still shoot in the rain. Having done sport for 25+ years I'm used to it.
_A015256.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 6400

Being from Seattle - no stranger to rain. Warm rainy May evening in Barcelona. Really great food and drink there. A1 20-70 plenty capable of a little moisture resistance. I thought an f4 lens would be a serious problem at night but hasn’t been a dealbreaker.
DSC08016.jpeg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 20-70mm F4 G
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 12800

I have plenty of shots at night with an f4 lens no problems, we dont like the cold heavy rain we are getting week after week :)

I have plenty of shots at night with an f4 lens no problems, we dont like the cold heavy rain we are getting week after week :)
Not a fan of cold rainy nights either. Time for some indoor macro? 😛

Would be OK if we had more bird life it seems to have dwindled over the years but going out tomorrow to wood hide to photograph the same birds I photographed last time and the time before that but at least it gets me out!!! Russ.

Would be OK if we had more bird life it seems to have dwindled over the years but going out tomorrow to wood hide to photograph the same birds I photographed last time and the time before that but at least it gets me out!!! Russ.
I think bird numbers are down this year Russ others have mentioned it, I thought it might be bird flu but people who know much more about birds on the forum think it weather related :)

I don't. Originally I'm an engineer, I don't go looking for trouble. I also don't drive my discovery 5 which is very highly dependent on electronics through water above the height of the diff, regardless of what the manual says.

Dave

I don't. Originally I'm an engineer, I don't go looking for trouble. I also don't drive my discovery 5 which is very highly dependent on electronics through water above the height of the diff, regardless of what the manual says.

Dave
I guess you realise that is a whole lot of common sense, something that I see very little in life these days :)

I don't because I'd rust. I am made of steel. I know that for a fact because there are always rust stains in my underwear.

A shot such as that which @liggy has posted is the only reason I can think of to shoot in the rain.

Back