Software to support a7IV

erikbock

Followers
Following
Name
Erik Bock
I saw on here in another thread that ON1 has native RAW support for the a7IV. I setting stuff up as I am honestly brand new t digital photography. (Decades in film)

Not a fan of Photoshop so I am looking for decent software to work in post that will natively support the Raw images from my a7IV not converting them to DNG first.

Affinity Photo will. By now I would expect most of them to.

I bought it several months ago but haven't done much with it, I need to spend some time with the tutorials.

It's not expensive and seems to work well. One reason I bought it was discussion with other users who tell me they have never spent a penny on upgrades, Affinity provides them at no cost.

I saw on here in another thread that ON1 has native RAW support for the a7IV. I setting stuff up as I am honestly brand new t digital photography. (Decades in film)

Not a fan of Photoshop so I am looking for decent software to work in post that will natively support the Raw images from my a7IV not converting them to DNG first.
Have you worked with Lightroom at all?

Darktable release 3.8.1 Feb 11, 2022 now full support for A7 IV, Tamron 17-28, and Tamron 28-200.

If you've never tried Darktable, do so. It is as powerful as Lightroom, very well supported and is totally free open-sourced software. They used to have one new version every year at Christmas but lately have been doing a second one in the summer. I think it's because the programmers are stuck home due to COVID.

Learning curve is a bit steep but once you learn it, you'll process most photos in about 5 clicks. There are TONS of tutorials on the net, one of the very best is Bruce Williams on You Tube. He still has a lot of videos up from previous versions so if you're looking for info on a specific module, make sure you're on the latest and greatest. He puts the version in the title of each video. I need to catch up with some of this, the last time I watched him in detail was V 3.6.

Bruce Williams Darktable Tutorials

Click the appropriate link for Windows or MAC, Linux and other info is there as well.

Darktable 3.8.1

Last edited:
I use Photoshop Elements. Unlike the full version of Photoshop, which is now only available with a monthly subscription, Elements is a one-time purchase. I had PS Elements 2020 which I have been using with my Nikon D850's (that I still shoot with), but when I recently got a Sony A74 I found it would not read the Sony RAW files. I put it off for a couple months but a week ago I installed an upgrade to my NIK plugins for PS Elements 2020 and it made Elements crash. So I bit the bullet and got Photoshop Elements 2022 (with a discount through Amazon). Not only did it make my plugins work again but it now reads the Sony A74 RAW files.

Back