Sony A7 IV A7iv camera to computer download software

slumdog

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Peter
Hi
what software is available to download from my Sony A7iv. Previously I used Play memories home on my A6400 that linked camera to computer and now the A7iv is not compatable.
I am using DCIM to download but only RAW/Jpeg there are no videos down loaded.
I can watch the video using playback on the camera.
There are no video (cant do this with this card) messages when capturing video in the camera.
Current Memory card Sandisk 64GB (3) MicroV30 Sd XC1 I have also tried another Card but same issue.
This camera is awesome regards stills but struggling to to figure out how to solve this Video problem, there must be a way as there are people happily using this camera.
If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Slumdog

Hi, Slumdog.
On the SD Card root folder look for
> PRIVATE
>> M4ROOT
>>> CLIP

For more info you can watch this video
Folder stucture.jpg

Hi ST thanks for the info regards finding my Video files.
I tried this tonight and it worked after also following the instructions on the linked video.
The videos were copied and placed in a folder. I took two videos one at 4k the other at HD both videos would not play and the following message was displayed on my computer.
"This file does not have a app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps setting page"
One step forward what do i do next? is it me but seems strange that this work about has to happen to operate a Hybrid camera.
Slumdog

Hi, Peter,

It sounds like you're capturing 10-bit video, which is not natively supported on Windows. If my guess is correct, this video should help.

ST your the one!!
Spot on with your suspicion regards 10-Bit I have changed to 8-Bit and all is ok, visual and sound, this has made me so happy.
Thank you. also the forum for the opportunity to reach out to resolve the issue.

Reliable connections and transfers remain problematic. I’ve given up on the apps and generally use an SD card reader like i did in the 1990’s. It ought to be easy, but seems someone wants users to subscribe to a new dedicated cloud service, which has yet to successfully upload one image from my iPhone 14. Yet another tedious master of business graduate with their eye on a bonus, I suspect.

You can always get Imaging Edge from Sony. It is kind of slow but it has a good amount of functionality.

Reliable connections and transfers remain problematic. I’ve given up on the apps and generally use an SD card reader like i did in the 1990’s. It ought to be easy, but seems someone wants users to subscribe to a new dedicated cloud service, which has yet to successfully upload one image from my iPhone 14. Yet another tedious master of business graduate with their eye on a bonus, I suspect.
Thanks Gaz. I have Sony IED software but find it easier to connect via USB then copy Raw /Jpeg into a folder on a laptop, convert Raw using Adobe Dng then process in lightroom ( last issue before monthly subscriptions) and happy with this process. The one area for me was establishing why my videos wouldn't-couldn't be transfered or viewed after, downloading, now sorted thanks to a fellow contributor.
This brings me to something that has been simmering away, I don't think it's right for camera manufacturers to keep providing updated models to the next hyper spec and then tell us to nip out and buy a branded software that I unfortunately find annoying as the previous free play memories home was capable of meeting my video editing needs and now replaced with a package that requires a higher knowledge and skill level I don't need. So that's my rant and I'm sure there are those that love this change and that's their choice and I respect that.

Thanks Gaz. I have Sony IED software but find it easier to connect via USB then copy Raw /Jpeg into a folder on a laptop, convert Raw using Adobe Dng then process in lightroom ( last issue before monthly subscriptions) and happy with this process. The one area for me was establishing why my videos wouldn't-couldn't be transfered or viewed after, downloading, now sorted thanks to a fellow contributor.
This brings me to something that has been simmering away, I don't think it's right for camera manufacturers to keep providing updated models to the next hyper spec and then tell us to nip out and buy a branded software that I unfortunately find annoying as the previous free play memories home was capable of meeting my video editing needs and now replaced with a package that requires a higher knowledge and skill level I don't need. So that's my rant and I'm sure there are those that love this change and that's their choice and I respect that.

I forgot to mention how I detest adobe subscriptions! Either sell me a product in full and ploy me updates that are worth buying, or get out of my credit card.

Back