Sony A1 “major” firmware update coming soon

When I first started doing sport it was split screen focusing on an all manual film camera. I was about 15 taking pics of the school teams in B&W and developing and printing them in the school labs. Some would go on display on the notice board.
How things have changed.

Ah, nostalgia - it's not what it used to be!
It never was, but I guess most would be lost behind these cameras, I mean no tech to think for us, what ever would we do? lots struggle with all the tech, just saying :)

Learning with old manual film cameras start’s people with a good grounding. Our local college changed to starting with digital but the next year went back to film first as they found the students learned the basics quicker with that.

Learning with old manual film cameras start’s people with a good grounding. Our local college changed to starting with digital but the next year went back to film first as they found the students learned the basics quicker with that.
Yep for sure Iain it helps people grasp the basics as you say, and it stays with you for life

I found the opposite - learning with digital has a much faster feedback loop, and the EXIF data told me exactly what settings I used for each frame.

But the college may have chosen film and old cameras to require students to think before shooting - spray and pray with film rapidly becomes expensive :)

The ultimate learning experience for me was having to shoot Kodachrome on the job, back in the old days, the most unforgiving film of all time, especially because there was no saving it in the lab. Exposure accuracy was critical and by using it I cleared up any bad lazy habits with exposure and light. Saying all that I now find the range and forgiveness of shooting digital files with a 61mp camera just amazing. No desire to go back.

I think these are needed to read this thread :D

unnamed.jpg

To add my thoughts...

I think we will definitely see new AF modes or algorithms, though it's obviously more than capable anyway. Maybe the newer menu system, though it's risky changing it when people are used to the current one, which I think is fine anyway, and I suspect that in camera stacking is a distinct possibility. If they do add that I will seriously consider this instead of the RV.
Let's see how quickly it's released.

I must confess i like the simple approach setting 1-5 for sensitivity/speed when you start to include modes and sub menus it is all getting lost on me ,oh look there is a fly i need to set for this quick menu dive set parameters for fly in flight oh yeah that works (not) fly has done one missed opportunity , i really dislike this approach ,guess for static stuff ai will be better which it is as it helps locate shape form then eyes ,which allows for composition ,but if it does not work in tracking and you are loosing keepers or you have to keep setting parameters for subject types then it is a pitas.I will still probably get r5 as the files are so good for wildlife and not everything is needing tracking or fast paced 30fps

Last edited:
I agree there Paul. My only desire is for a better AF speed or one that at least stays locked on better than the RIV, though I have to say I got some nice shots this weekend.

If they add stacking to the A1 it's a no brainer

Back