David Lewis
Country
United States
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
From: Andrea Pizzini Photography - The Alpha Rumors admin

TLDW - Update to be announced before the end of the year, no details yet but way more than a bug fix release. This also means that an A1ii is less likely in the near to mid future

The 'AI' chip... 🙄

Glad it ain't written on the camera body otherwise I'd black it out..! 🫤

oh bird eye focus, I can not live without it 🤣

SSSSOOOONNNNYYYY! Getting bird's eyes in focus since 2020... ✅

Or 2019 maybe...

We look at all these things in camera, Birds Eye af etc but we used to take perfectly good pictures before any of this existed. Are we just getting lazy in wanting the camera to do it all to save us thinking and doing ourselves.

We look at all these things in camera, Birds Eye af etc but we used to take perfectly good pictures before any of this existed. Are we just getting lazy in wanting the camera to do it all to save us thinking and doing ourselves.
Sort of the last thing I want Iain other wise its not much of a hobby for me

Are we just getting lazy in wanting the camera to do it all to save us thinking and doing ourselves.

Definitely not for me, but yes, most people think it's pretty great if they can just waft through life without having to think any more. Quite startling for those who have a belief that their brain was meant to make decisions for them...

Definitely not for me, but yes, most people think it's pretty great if they can just waft through life without having to think any more. Quite startling for those who have a belief that their brain was meant to make decisions for them...
Well you get great af , great sensor, stacked if you are lucky and a bunch of dials and stuff how hard can it be I know what a bird looks like and a car plane etc so how hard can it be?

If you stop and think about it, usable AF has been around for almost 40 years with continuous refinements. There are many people who know no other way.

It sure did seem like a marvel first time I used it!

So, from the things we know have appeared in firmware since the A1, what do you think might appear?

Unlikely to be possible as a firmware update:
  • new AF using the "AI" chip
  • the A7RV rear screen (included her for Clint!)

Possibilites:
  • focus stacking
  • bulb timer
  • planes, trains, and automobiles
  • insects

What else?

If you stop and think about it, usable AF has been around for almost 40 years with continuous refinements. There are many people who know no other way.

It sure did seem like a marvel first time I used it!

I know at least some people complained when the cameras with AF lost the the split prism ring.

So, from the things we know have appeared in firmware since the A1, what do you think might appear?

Unlikely to be possible as a firmware update:
  • new AF using the "AI" chip
  • the A7RV rear screen (included her for Clint!)

Possibilites:
  • focus stacking
  • bulb timer
  • planes, trains, and automobiles
  • insects

What else?

For A1 owner's sake, I really hope they don't add their 'AI chip' to this firmware, or in real world terms their AI programmed AF algorithms because it will **** up a sensational AF.

Better BIF keeper rates on an A7RIV compared to the RV says it all really... 😳

For A1 owner's sake, I really hope they don't add their 'AI chip' to this firmware, or in real world terms their AI programmed AF algorithms because it will **** up a sensational AF.
They clearly can't. It is a physical chip.

LOL. Wear a tinfoil hat when out shooting, you'll be fine.

Seeming that the RIV has better BIF keepers than the RV, that independent chip sure is lacking. The integrated chip makes faster more accurate decisions quite clearly.

Should I turn the charts upside down so I understand them better? Seems that's what you must be doing...

I mean, no company in history has ever marketed BS in order to get a leg up right?

Seeming that the RIV has better BIF keepers than the RV, that independent chip sure is lacking. The integrated chip makes faster more accurate decisions quite clearly.

Should I turn the charts upside down so I understand them better? Seems that's what you must be doing...
If turning the charts upside down give you a warm and fuzzy, go for it.

I think blaming the chip for making slow decisions doesn't take into account the vast number of variables.

I know at least some people complained when the cameras with AF lost the the split prism ring.
I hated focus prisms, split was much better, and even straight ground glass is where I started
I think I turned on the AI focus chip for the first time a few weeks ago, old timer still likes to put the focus where I want with a joy stick my compromise to new tech, in that the A7RV and A1 have been spot on.

I hated focus prisms, split was much better, and even straight ground glass is where I started
Remember how if you weren't looking directly into the prism half of it would be black?

Remember how if you weren't looking directly into the prism half of it would be black?
yes one of the reason I did not like them In my early days with great eyes I loved ground glass screens in my Nikon slrs so I did not have to recompose after focusing, just compose focus and you were good. It was not really until center only af came out that I started the other way around focus and then recompose. Not that long ago that was the only way to shoot medium format digital they all had central af only. How I love my joystick, the freedom of it. That protrait of my granddaughter is the one and only time I have used any kind of eye detect type of autofocus.

Back