Good news if true: Sony A1 firmware update will be release around February 10th?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Maybe get it earlier than expected? Possibly some others as well?

One source just told me that the Sony A1 firmware update will be released o February 10. I wasn’t able to double check this via trusted sources but to me it’s sounds likely to be true. I don’t know if also the Sony A7sIII will get the firmware on the same day (I guess so).

Like I told you previously expect to get a TON of new features…much more than anticipated by Sony ;)

I also hope that Sony will soon pre-announce firmware updates for other popular cameras like the Sony A7rV (which I do own), Sony A7IV and Sony A6700.

I have trepidation on the release. Either it will surprise me or confirm my skepticism. The last firmware update was a surprise for me.
In a way I already did my firmware upgrade.
1. Focus bracketing with a stacked sensor camera - OM-1 (even have focus stacking) but the A1 has a higher flash sync speed
2. Smaller focus point which the A9iii has - my OM-1 has it, so I don't have to switch to manual focus for macro nearly as often
3. Bulb timer - A7Rv and A7CR (really wish Sony would have followed Fujifilm and Nikon on this one though - metered exposures to 900 seconds)
4. Pro-capture - OM-1

There was no mention of charging for the firmware updates when they were announced - that's A1, A7SIII, and A9III. I'd expect no charge.

The A7IV aberration was for a feature requested/demanded by an outside party, not something initiated by Sony.

The A7IV aberration
That was no aberration, that was testing the waters. This is going to become more prevalent in the industry. It wouldn't be impossible to build a camera with features that remain crippled and invisible until a paid 'firmware' update unlocks them. A company could double the time between releases by keeping a camera up to date in that manner, which halves R&D costs. While this one instance may have been as you describe, it won't be isolated. It would not surprise me at all for Sony to release this and the A7S III firmware as 'free', with optional paid upgrades.

I'm betting Sony will charge for the firmware update. I will be very surprised, given the photography industry drum beats, if they don't go that route.

Part of the reason I won’t buy a BMW is that they tried to charge a subscription for Apple Car Play.

Not interested. The fugly buck toothed grilles make that a much easier decision too. I hope Sony doesn’t try the same thing.

I’d sooner change cars right now than camera systems though. Way too many reasons to stick with Sony at the moment.
Here’s to a free and meaningful A1 upgrade.

I'm betting Sony will charge for the firmware update. I will be very surprised, given the photography industry drum beats, if they don't go that route.

Well, I'm hoping your fears are not realised.

Having installed a bunch of firmware updates yesterday, none of which cost me anything, I'm hoping that continues to be the case.

I do subscribe to the Adobe Photographer subscription, but my feelings about that are: this is the only payment they are getting from me, and the subscription gives them certainty of income, so they can invest in adding my new cameras to Camera RAW (!) and fixing bugs, and adding some new functionality (like the new de-noise) from time to time.

With the cameras, however, they have received a substantial up-front payment, and fixing bugs feels like something that I'm entitled to without further payment.

Additionally, every time they make a firmware update paid, they have to make it optional, so the number of versions of the camera that they must test against doubles - it makes their testing of new lenses and new accessories more complicated. If they released two paid firmware updates, A and B, then they must test against the camera with neither, with A only, with B only, and with both A and B - four times as much testing. If all firmware updates are free, they really only need to test against the latest.

Having installed a bunch of firmware updates yesterday, none of which cost me anything, I'm hoping that continues to be the case.

With the cameras, however, they have received a substantial up-front payment, and fixing bugs feels like something that I'm entitled to without further payment.

Additionally, every time they make a firmware update paid, they have to make it optional, so the number of versions of the camera that they must test against doubles - it makes their testing of new lenses and new accessories more complicated. If they released two paid firmware updates, A and B, then they must test against the camera with neither, with A only, with B only, and with both A and B - four times as much testing. If all firmware updates are free, they really only need to test against the latest.
The firmware updates you installed yesterday were fixes. Those will probably always be free, at least they should be. We're more concerned with feature upgrades, they could easily charge for those.

I think they're less likely to charge when updating their flagship to include some of the latest features from the newer cameras than they would be to add it to something older or farther down the food chain. For example, they could add pro-capture from the A9III to my A1 for free, but charge me to add it to my A7 IV. I could easily see them going that way.

Well, 10 feb, if the rumours are correct is not so far away and we'll see - for me i will hope for the best but
expect the worst....

The firmware updates you installed yesterday were fixes. Those will probably always be free, at least they should be. We're more concerned with feature upgrades, they could easily charge for those.

I think they're less likely to charge when updating their flagship to include some of the latest features from the newer cameras than they would be to add it to something older or farther down the food chain. For example, they could add pro-capture from the A9III to my A1 for free, but charge me to add it to my A7 IV. I could easily see them going that way.
Pre-capture on the A1 - I could get behind that one. That feature has a pre-requisite of a large buffer, and the A1 does have a decent size buffer. I wonder if there are any other hardware requirements, like a separate path from the sensor to the buffer for streaming the images as they are captured?

Pre-capture on the A1 - I could get behind that one. That feature has a pre-requisite of a large buffer, and the A1 does have a decent size buffer. I wonder if there are any other hardware requirements, like a separate path from the sensor to the buffer for streaming the images as they are captured?
Beats me, you're overthinking some that was offered as an example of an upgrade as opposed to a fix.

Back