RUMOR: Sony A7IV firmware update 2.0 is coming end of February!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I don’t know how often Sony releases firmware that actually adds features. Usually they just fix bugs. I suggested in another thread they may add something to the A74 to keep it relevant since they aren’t likely to release an A75 for several years. Panasonic’s S5II is being very favorably compared to the A74, and I’m sure they want to remain competitive.

I don’t know how often Sony releases firmware that actually adds features. Usually they just fix bugs. I suggested in another thread they may add something to the A74 to keep it relevant since they aren’t likely to release an A75 for several years. Panasonic’s S5II is being very favorably compared to the A74, and I’m sure they want to remain competitive.
Sony needs more software engineers lol.

A Canon engineer ones told me “it not what they tell you is in the firmware it’s what they don’t tell you that makes the difference “
There is often things in the firmware update that they don’t broadcast, so always worth doing.

A Canon engineer ones told me “it not what they tell you is in the firmware it’s what they don’t tell you that makes the difference “
There is often things in the firmware update that they don’t broadcast, so always worth doing.
Unless, like Sony, they have so many problems with firmware releases. I like to let everyone else go first. As soon as a few of you try it and your cameras don’t explode, I’m in!

They added the reduced resolution RAW (RAW-M and RAW-S) files to the A1 as a firmware update after releasing them on the A7IV.

So it does happen, but yes, not a common event.

Well, tomorrow is the last day of February. What will it bring? Will the update show up, or did Sony identify bugs they need to fix? If it is released, will it have Focus Stacking? HDR? Two Turtle Doves?

I wish Sony implemented pro-capture in an update. If its possible that is.. So many times I miss take-offs action with birds. And ofcourse the filesize must be significant reduced due to the 40-50 fps. Imagine having 10-20 shots taken before you press the shutter all the way down.A guy on a forum for the minolta's pro capture have asked sony support why they havent consider the system and the sony-guy said 'no one has asked for it.. I'm playing with the thoughts of having a used Minolta's 300mm F4 and one used body with pro-capture.

Which camera body? This sounds like fun. I know OM has Pro Capture, never knew of a Minolta?

CRAP! I had hope! :ROFLMAO:
;) Maybee its possible with the already installed hardware.. Its only the Micro four thirds system capable of doing 50-60 fps. even 120fps uptil now. Anyway - If its possible - to decrease the image-filesize to ca. 5mp raw's/jpegs and raise the electronic shutter to 40-50 fps. And maybee then implement it in our already owned fullframes bodies? Or maybee the pro-capture system need an extra chip to work on.. So to the sony techs if you read this: Implement this system in A9iii ! :)

I wish Sony implemented pro-capture in an update. If its possible that is.. So many times I miss take-offs action with birds. And ofcourse the filesize must be significant reduced due to the 40-50 fps. Imagine having 10-20 shots taken before you press the shutter all the way down.A guy on a forum for the minolta's pro capture have asked sony support why they havent consider the system and the sony-guy said 'no one has asked for it.. I'm playing with the thoughts of having a used Minolta's 300mm F4 and one used body with pro-capture.
I’ll give it a try on the iPhone 14 Pro. Mind you, I’ll need to be close. It’s one feature I truly miss. Live Photo is brilliant for winding back or forward so that someone’s eyes are open.

I’ll give it a try on the iPhone 14 Pro. Mind you, I’ll need to be close. It’s one feature I truly miss. Live Photo is brilliant for winding back or forward so that someone’s eyes are open.
Haven't heard of that.Only used samsung. Is Live Photo on Iphone the same as pro-capture so to speak? On pro-capture you have to half-press the shutter to activate the system.. If Live Photo does the same I can actualy manage my setup with a remote operated Iphone close to a bird-feeder and catch the take-of/freeze the bird in mid-air? But then again you need around 1/4000sec. shutterspeed. 🤔

Haven't heard of that.Only used samsung. Is Live Photo on Iphone the same as pro-capture so to speak? On pro-capture you have to half-press the shutter to activate the system.. If Live Photo does the same I can actualy manage my setup with a remote operated Iphone close to a bird-feeder and catch the take-of/freeze the bird in mid-air? But then again you need around 1/4000sec. shutterspeed. 🤔
I leave Live Photo on permanently. I can usually wind back or forward 1.5 seconds, so it’s important to hold the thing still. Works every time though, so you can pick the frame you prefer. It shows the one you click, but in the edit routine you can select an earlier or later time frame. This is the same “shot” on iPhone 14 pro….
My final edit shown first. The second image here is the point in time I pulled the trigger.

54131BD7-E404-46F1-AFA0-86C6FD14E332.jpeg
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.78
  • 1/532 sec
  • ISO 80

A22DC10E-4500-4A35-A2D3-491F35A36DC9.jpeg
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro back triple camera 6.86mm f/1.78
  • 6.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.78
  • 1/532 sec
  • ISO 80

Last edited:
I leave Live Photo on permanently. I can usually wind back or forward 1.5 seconds, so it’s important to hold the thing still. Works every time though, so you can pick the frame you prefer. It shows the one you click, but in the edit routine you can select an earlier or later time frame
Thanks Gaz I have free phone at work at least the mid-range ones - if we want the best we have to pay a small sum.. I think I will investigate in the capability's of the latest Iphone around this live photo ting and go for one before my retirement kick in in a 1,5 year ca. :)

I leave Live Photo on permanently. I can usually wind back or forward 1.5 seconds, so it’s important to hold the thing still. Works every time though, so you can pick the frame you prefer. It shows the one you click, but in the edit routine you can select an earlier or later time frame. This is the same “shot” on iPhone 14 pro….
My final edit shown first. The second image here is the point in time I pulled the trigger.

View attachment 33573

View attachment 33574
When the moment is before you push the button, that’s where Live is really useful. At the same time, I can publish a gif, or long exposure from the same shot.

For completeness, this is the same image a full second before I clicked the button to take a photo…
A2335934-2BB8-4B27-BA20-0F7261B1D0AA.jpeg

If I could hang $2k of Sony glass off the iPhone my dreams would be met!

My iPhone camera is activated remotely using my Apple iWatch, btw.

Last edited:
I had no idea live photo existed until I accidently shot with it on. I was reviewing a project photo and the image moved.

HOLY CRAP! That was a little too close to Harry Potter for me! :eek:

Sony have released firmware 2.0 for you A7IV shooters, haven’t got a A7IV so just reporting the news

Sony have released firmware 2.0 for you A7IV shooters, haven’t got a A7IV so just reporting the news
Yeah, and it's more garbage from Sony.

Back