Name
Roger Smith
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
So I took my A7RV and 100-400GM to the zoo. Hooked my magpul strap to my RRS foot as I do every weekend. Camera and lens promptly fall 3' or so to concrete. Fully expect damage, see the error message on the backscreen. Power on and off and...Sony gear performs just fine. Wow, impressed and grateful. Gave it a full run through, processed images, look good (see below)
Now, for RRS / MAGPUL, I'll be writing a nasty note and returning the product. At first I thought I goofed and didn't secure the attachment. But looked more closely and it just failed. Looks like back to black rapid for me. Just a bit of scraping on the hotshoe area, otherwise even cosmetically it looks like I dodged a bullet.

DSC01274.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500

Never understood the cult of RRS. I have some of their plates and L brackets but not worth the premium IMO. And their owner has some beliefs that conflict with my own so no more RRS for me. Glad your gear survived intact!

I hear you liggy. To be fair, it was the MAGPUL detach point that failed (but RRS partners with them). Bothers me that it's the same strap issued to armed forces for rifles. My pictures at the zoo don't matter. Soldier's lives most certainly do.
One thing for sure, I'll fight tooth and nail after this to defend Sony's honor when people say only Nikon and Canon build pro grade bodies. This was a wicked fall, and kept on working.

This kind of things should be measured in technology reviews. It's not all about specs, also durability and reliability are important, even decisive. Anyone who has owned Sony tech knows it's built to last.

Glad your camera survived despite the strap flaw.

This kind of things should be measured in technology reviews. It's not all about specs, also durability and reliability are important, even decisive. Anyone who has owned Sony tech knows it's built to last.

Glad your camera survived despite the strap flaw.
Which is why I use Peak Design. Their quick connects are tested to 300lbs, and they will tell you how to inspect and when to replace.

Which is why I use Peak Design. Their quick connects are tested to 300lbs, and they will tell you how to inspect and when to replace.
+1 on the PD system.

All my straps are PD (Slide, Slide Lite and the thinner one which name escapes me or I have the made with PD links.

I use a slide light and the wrist strap. I also have another strap converted with the PD links. Lastly, I use the PD capture clip on my belt for the second camera at the track.

Back