Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I'm sure quite a few members here will be wetting your pants in excitement about todays new camera announcement from Sony :) That said, if you are a vlogger it's definitely worth taking a closer look at this little chap.

The ZV-1 Mark II is a compact vlogging camera with a 20MP Type 1 (13.2 x 8.8mm) Stacked CMOS sensor and an 18-50mm equivalent F1.8-4.0 zoom lens.

It will cost $898.00 US dollars / €1,000 EUR / £869.00 and will be available in June 2023. Pre-orders are already open in Europe and will start in the US at 10am ET, Wed May 24.

Further details and early reviews can be found in the linked article.

very nice but totally useless to me and of no interest at all :)

In many ways, this is the ZV1 that should have been the Mark 1.

The first time around they completely missed the mark on the focal length for the target demographic; to the point where vloggers needed to rely on 3rd party Ulanzi to make a wide lens adapter. So they're heading in the right direction by giving a wider lens. The Multi interface hot shoe, brilliant (not sure if it was on the first one?). Built-in ND filters, good that is still part of the package (though I suppose it adds cost), oh and I don't mind the cinematic vlog mode because this is marketed to users who are not spending tons of time to edit their videos (or so I believe).

What's not a step in the right direction is the loss of a few f stops on the tele end. I also think at this price point, the stabilization should be as good as a GoPro, but it isn't. THAT [dynamic stabilization] should have been a bigger focus (no pun intended) for this camera revision.

Also, am I the only one who finds it laughable that they added S-LOG video profiles? maybe leave that in the more "serious" cameras? 😅

A "budget" vlogger camera for those who couldn't afford the new ZV-E1.

The interesting thing is that if a full touch screen and the new menu system appear in the "cheap" camera, then they will most definitely be featured in all future cameras as well.

Last edited:
I’m sure the tin-lids will love this camera.

A "budget" vlogger camera for those who couldn't afford the new ZV-E1.

The interesting thing is that if a full tactile screen and the new menu system appear in the "cheap" camera, then they will most definitely be featured in all future cameras as well.
In many ways, a go-pro is still a better "budget" vlogger, but I suppose it depends on what you are vlogging. I used to be in car clubs and later I was into kayaking and kayak fishing, for all of those activities, an action camera was a must because of the water proofing and because of the higher frame rate options. When go-pro added digital stabilization and their camera cage with external mic, I knew they were coming for the adventure vlogger.

Sony's product is more versatile in terms of zoom, aperture, and the AI-Auto-Focus is only getting better, but you still need a gimbal if you want to be a "walk&talk" type of vlogger.

On the topic of screens, YES I expect full touch screen on all new Sony cameras, no excuses now.

Rhyming slang. Tin-lids = kids.
Never heard that one before, but I remember a mate of mine would come in for coffee when I still ran a biz and we would muse over how Micky Mouse meant the exact opposite when going from London to Sydney.

Back