Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has just announced the Sony ZV-E1 that's targeted towards creators. Here's a quick look at the key features:
  • The world’s smallest, lightest, full-frame interchangeable lens vlog camera ii
  • Full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor with 15+ stops of latitude and high sensitivity
  • Sony E-mount System
  • BIONZ XR™ image processing engine
  • AI-based Real-time Recognition AF and Tenacious Real-time Tracking
  • 4K 60p, 4K 120p Upgradable (A free license must be downloaded from Sony’s camera upgrade website and installed in the camera. Not available in some countries and regions. To be released in June 2023 or later. Visit the following URL for details: https://creatorscloud.sony.net/cameraupgrade/4k120p/)
  • Cinematic Vlog Setting including S-Cinetone
  • 5-axis optical in-body image stabilisation and Dynamic active Mode stabilisationv
  • AI-based Auto Framing and Framing Stabiliserviii
  • S-Gamut3.Cine/S-Log3 and S-Gamut3/S-Log3
  • Breathing Compensation function
  • Product Showcase Setting and one-touch Bokeh Switch
  • Intelligent 3 Capsule Microphone with variable directivity
  • Vari-angle touch LCD screen for easy monitoring
  • Easy, stable smartphone connectivity
  • Designed with sustainability in mind
The ZV-E1 will be available from early April, with pre-sales beginning on March 30th. It will cost around $2300 US body only, and around $2600 with the 28-60mm F4-5.6 zoom.

Here's Sony's Intro for the Camera

And Gerald's Thoughts

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

Once again, they missed the mark on the vlogging lens choice by recycling the kit lens from other full frame cameras, but I guess that will force customers to buy 20mm or 24mm FE lenses. The mic is a bare minimum feature that will get replaced by an external mic immediately by any content creator.

Overall, not a bad camera, but am I the only one who thinks its too expensive for the target audience? I suppose its just over half the price of an FX3 though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and, I want that S-Cinetone profile on my next APSC camera...

Overall, not a bad camera, but am I the only one who thinks its too expensive for the target audience?
Not only too expensive for the target audience, but too expensive for what it is. Jeez.

Now...where'd I put that Nikon catalog....

Not only too expensive for the target audience, but too expensive for what it is. Jeez.
eh, its basically an FX3/A7S3 in a ZV body but $1700/$1300 cheaper respectively.
When you look at it that way, is it really too expensive for what it is? or is it closer to what those "higher end" Sony's should have been selling at in the first place?

eh, its basically an FX3/A7S3 in a ZV body but $1700/$1300 cheaper respectively.
When you look at it that way, is it really too expensive for what it is? or is it closer to what those "higher end" Sony's should have been selling at in the first place?

I think it's well priced for what it is.
Would be a good match with the 16-35mm PZ. ✅

Ok, so the higher end Sony's are too expensive for what they are. I can buy that. Anything without a viewfinder is useless to me. Maybe if you're sitting in your home studio.

Ok, so the higher end Sony's are too expensive for what they are. I can buy that. Anything without a viewfinder is useless to me. Maybe if you're sitting in your home studio.
Meh, I never used the viewfinder when I was doing video, so I get why it was sacrificed for cost savings, and compact packaging in the ZV lineup. The FX3 and FX30 also lack a viewfinder, but I think in the case of those cameras, there will be purchases of external monitors.

That said, I agree with you that I would not be buying a camera without a viewfinder either. They better not ditch it on the A7000 (or whatever they are going to call it)!

No EVF = I can't use it. So many of my shots are quick pickups, turn ons and grab the animal before it runs away.
Monitors are huge and bulky and you can't see them in the sun etc
Anyway, the ZV-E1 is interesting to see what they have new features and chips they have gotten into the body (overheats quickly it seems though).

Now Sony, can we have a refresh of all your more expensive cameras with the same tech and AI chips please. I want to give you at least $10,000, but you have nothing I want to buy right now - it's all dated...

Last edited:
Back