Sony A7R V Standard magnification

moolgavkar

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Suresh H Moolgavkar
What is the standard magnification on playback of still images on the Sony A7rv? That is, when a still image is viewed and the magnify button is pushed what is the standard magnification? Is the image being viewed at 100%? It appears to be a much higher magnification. Can the initial magnification be reset to 100%?

I would appreciate any insights.

Go to the Playback menu, Magnification, Initial Magnification:

If you enlarge an image to 100%, then future displays can be at the same magnification if you set this to Previous Magnification.
Thank you, but I am still confused. The magnification options offered in the menu are 'standard' or 'previous'. Does standard mean 100%? If not, how do you set magnification for 100%? Moreover, because the LCD screen and the viewfinder have different resolutions, how can the magnification be 100% on both?

I think standard is 100%, I don't like looking at images at 100% and tend to look at them at about 50%. With most modern cameras the resolution is such that if its good at 50% it will print well at A3

Thank you, Iain. I think that is correct insofar as the LCD screen on the back is concerned. However, because the viewfinder has much higher resolution (~9 mp vs. ~2 mp), the initial magnification cannot be the same on both. I believe it is about 450% in the viewfinder.

Let me know what you think.

I believe the 'previous mag' refers to the size you viewed previous image. After you enlarge and go to 100%, you can use the rear dial to reduce or increase the image size. Turn the dial to get it where you want, then close it, go to the menu and change to Previous Mag. I just looked this up in the manual, haven't tried it yet, so give it a shot and let us know. If this works as it appears to, it's kind of genius in that you can save whatever size you want.
Capture1.JPG

I just tried this on my A7IV and works as advertised. Enlarge a photo, scroll the wheel to the size you want, Hit Menu and go to the correct submenu, save on previous Mag. Next time you enlarge an image it will go to that size. This works on both the rear screen and on EVF.

Back