Talk about rear screens/ evf and reviewing shots in the field, are the evfs and rear screens getting better on newer bodies?

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so I probably using some of the older camera bodies on here so I am not the best person to comment on the evf and rear view screen, but I do chimp, so look at shots in the field and I am sure some of you guys do if you are honest about it, quite important if you shoot raw I feel. I do use histogram a bit but tend to lean towards if it looks ok in the evf given previous experience it should be ok and having a feel for the settings for each subject I am shooting.
So are you viewing the rear screens and evfs on your bodies? do you check shots on either? and are they what you expect when you get home or is the in camera processing catching you out? probably more of an issue if shooting raw maybe? As usual as many replies as possible please :)

I honestly don't use them for anything more than composition. They're too small to give any kind of accurate idea of final IQ, everything looks better on a tiny screen. I don't use live view to determine exposure, just camera numbers and metering. I don't chimp often for the above reasons, but if I do it's with the EVF because there's usually bright sunlight and the screen is washed out. I have touch operation turned off.

Not much help here I'm afraid.

I honestly don't use them for anything more than composition. They're too small to give any kind of accurate idea of final IQ, everything looks better on a tiny screen. I don't use live view to determine exposure, just camera numbers and metering. I don't chimp often for the above reasons, but if I do it's with the EVF because there's usually bright sunlight and the screen is washed out. I have touch operation turned off.

Not much help here I'm afraid.
If that is what you do that the answer, simple as (y)

My input won't be very valuable to you Gary, since you have full frame and they reserve the nicer screens for you guys...
But since you asked: in the APSC camp, the screens have NOT been improved. The resolution remains unchanged, but now they're touch screens and flip to the side rather than up. I guess that's where Sony sacrifices to keep lower tier cameras within budget. When I have time to review, I do end up chimping, but I have to zoom in just to confirm if my shots were in focus 😅

My input won't be very valuable to you Gary, since you have full frame and they reserve the nicer screens for you guys...
But since you asked: in the APSC camp, the screens have NOT been improved. The resolution remains unchanged, but now they're touch screens and flip to the side rather than up. I guess that's where Sony sacrifices to keep lower tier cameras within budget. When I have time to review, I do end up chimping, but I have to zoom in just to confirm if my shots were in focus 😅
Spot on Chris it sort of what I was thinking, I zoom in on evf to confirm focus as well :) I see guys shooting video with the rear screen so sort of do not know how they manage that to be honest

Spot on Chris it sort of what I was thinking, I zoom in on evf to confirm focus as well :) I see guys shooting video with the rear screen so sort of do not know how they manage that to be honest
Yep! I like the magnification in the EVF and then zooming in, rather than relying on the rear screen only.

Now, Video is a different ball of yarn: you either trust the continuous AF and use the rear screen for framing and exposure only, or you go all out and build a cage with external monitor... which is more profe$$ional than I'll ever get LOL

More insight Clint please not sure how many people bought the 7/5 so it might be helpful to some :)

I was taking the piss, nothing is perfect. Although the EVF is nice, it isn't huge like the YouTube crazies would suggest. I could definitely do with bigger but then I wouldn't want the camera any bigger so it's a good compromise I guess. One thing I'll say about the screen though apart from the hinging flip out mechanism being absolutely sensational is how my in camera RAW's look so beautiful on the camera screen, much better than the actual RAW really looks. It's like I can see what the image looks like half edited as soon as I take it.

I was taking the piss, nothing is perfect. Although the EVF is nice, it isn't huge like the YouTube crazies would suggest. I could definitely do with bigger but then I wouldn't want the camera any bigger so it's a good compromise I guess. One thing I'll say about the screen though apart from the hinging flip out mechanism being absolutely sensational is how my in camera RAW's look so beautiful on the camera screen, much better than the actual RAW really looks. It's like I can see what the image looks like half edited as soon as I take it.
Reason for that is I believe all the raw files render as if the camera had applied some in camera processing in the evf and on the rear screen when viewed in camera

Reason for that is I believe all the raw files render as if the camera had applied some in camera processing in the evf and on the rear screen when viewed in camera

Although I can't compare, I don't remember the RIII being as prominent as that.

Correct, the image you see on the screen is a processed jpeg.
Although I can't compare, I don't remember the RIII being as prominent as that.
Newer sensor, new processor, new color science. I love Sony's new colors, although I always thought it was just nitpicking for some of the you tubers to complain about the old ones.

Newer sensor, new processor, new color science. I love Sony's new colors, although I always thought it was just nitpicking for some of the you tubers to complain about the old ones.
No the old Sony colours were bad harsh, its a pity they cannot render like the old Minolta glass does

On the whole, I do believe the colour thing is nit picking. But it is real and and does actually help save a bit of time, even if only the smallest amount.

No the old Sony colours were bad harsh, its a pity they cannot render like the old Minolta glass does
Well I sure can't argue Minolta glass. The colors were amazing.

I guess it depends how far back you go. The A7 IV marked Sony's first camera with the current color science, I don't see a big difference in color rendering between it and the A7RIII, yet there is a bit. Do you mean like the old DSLR's and SLTs?

Well I sure can't argue Minolta glass. The colors were amazing.

I guess it depends how far back you go. The A7 IV marked Sony's first camera with the current color science, I don't see a big difference in color rendering between it and the A7RIII, yet there is a bit. Do you mean like the old DSLR's and SLTs?
That is sort of the point I dont even know when things changed so much but even now if it were possible I would use Minolta glass all the time even on todays bodies it renders such pleasing colours at least for me

On the A7RV I’m a fan of the EVF and viewfinder in general, compared with the A7C which I still own. EVF is super clear and bright and easy to check focus. Central location on the camera is easier than off to the side on the A7C. While the variety of angles you can bend the screen through on the RV is impressive, I take most photos outside and turn the screen off most of the time as any screen gets washed out by sunlight (not a current problem in the UK I’m picking up through these posts) and feels such a compromise compared with using the EVF. I shoot in RAW and the EVF renders the image well…have never felt like a big mismatch between what you see in camera to the first load up into Lightroom.

On the A7RV I’m a fan of the EVF and viewfinder in general, compared with the A7C which I still own. EVF is super clear and bright and easy to check focus. Central location on the camera is easier than off to the side on the A7C. While the variety of angles you can bend the screen through on the RV is impressive, I take most photos outside and turn the screen off most of the time as any screen gets washed out by sunlight (not a current problem in the UK I’m picking up through these posts) and feels such a compromise compared with using the EVF. I shoot in RAW and the EVF renders the image well…have never felt like a big mismatch between what you see in camera to the first load up into Lightroom.
Well I guess you can brighten the rear screen for sunny conditions, although sometimes that makes things worse as it can give a false impression of images

I never look at my shots on the rear screen, too much reflection to be able to gauge things properly, but I use the EVF a lot, which on the A7RIV is pretty good. If things look in focus and well exposed on there I am happy. I don't worry about colours etc as they will be adjusted in post anyway. I do like that any changes you make to settings show instantly on the EVF too.
I know the RV EVF is better still, so if I go that route the same will apply. I used to hate EVFs too, they played havoc with my eyes.

I never look at my shots on the rear screen, too much reflection to be able to gauge things properly, but I use the EVF a lot, which on the A7RIV is pretty good. If things look in focus and well exposed on there I am happy. I don't worry about colours etc as they will be adjusted in post anyway. I do like that any changes you make to settings show instantly on the EVF too.
I know the RV EVF is better still, so if I go that route the same will apply. I used to hate EVFs too, they played havoc with my eyes.

Yes, I review in the EVF, including zooming in for critical focus, and even starring images (I redefined Fn in image review to put stars on images). The EVF on the A1 and A7RV is the same (9Mdots), and much higher res than the rear screen.

There is one sneaky advantage to chimping in the EVF - people can’t tell you are chimping :cool:

I use the rear screen to show other people images occasionally (mostly in the studio when photographing people).

Yes, I review in the EVF, including zooming in for critical focus, and even starring images (I redefined Fn in image review to put stars on images). The EVF on the A1 and A7RV is the same (9Mdots), and much higher res than the rear screen.

There is one sneaky advantage to chimping in the EVF - people can’t tell you are chimping :cool:

I use the rear screen to show other people images occasionally (mostly in the studio when photographing people).
My Mrs does say it looks like I'm taking photos though

Back