Followers
Following
Name
Stanley G. Mathu
Country
Kenya
City/State
Nairobi
i have been playing around with my latest acquisition, the Tamron 20-40mm F2.8. i bought it primarily to experiment on real estate photography.
one of my practicing grounds is my own small AirBnB. advice and creative criticism are welcome.
SGM08741-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 4000

Last edited:
i attempted both wide and closeups
SGM08753-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 8000

SGM00015-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 4/10 sec
  • ISO 100

SGM08750-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 31.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 100

i learnt that shooting too wide makes things look bigger than they really are. you have to find an ideal focal length for different things
SGM08717.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 34.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/8 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice shots, but none of them look wide enough. Usually shots like these are composed to make the space look and feel as large as possible and include floors and ceilings. The close cropping makes them feel claustrophobic. Just my $0.02.

It comes in handy when working in very tight spaces when trying to include the entire subject in the photo, the bed in this case.
however, shooting too wide makes the ceiling appear to be slightly higher than it really is.
SGM08716-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • E 20-40mm F2.8 A062
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/3 sec
  • ISO 100

Nice shots, but none of them look wide enough. Usually shots like these are composed to make the space look and feel as large as possible and include floors and ceilings. The close cropping makes them feel claustrophobic. Just my $0.02.
my thinking was that, if you make a space feel as large as possible, than it really is, then guests feel deceived when they check in and find it smaller than they expected.

Last edited:
my thinking was that, if you make a space feel as large as possible, than it really is, then guests feel deceived when they check in and find it smaller than they expected.
I understand the philosophy and really don't disagree, but I would stick with the industry standard. As an example, in the last shot of the bedroom, I would at least shoot wide enough to show the wall at the foot of the bed, or if that's not possible, don't cut off the foot of the bed.

If you don't want to shoot them to look overly large, at least don't shoot so tight. Leave some space around the bed, for instance.

You want to the subjects and photos breath some.

I don’t think wider angle shots are deceptive because they provide context.

If that’s a real concern, drop in a floor plan, some room dimensions and a total floor area.

The idea here is to inform people about the space. A close up of a vanity unit doesn’t help a lot, as, that could be located in a corner of the hallway, if you show no context.

The only thing I get paid to shoot is real estate about once per month. No interest in expanding :)

One client. She usually lists more modest homes and I always use the 12-24. 12 is necessary for small rooms. A little quick and dirty perspective correction and judicious cropping and job done. Same day service. No 3D fly throughs or drone work.

She is happy so I think ultrawide would be better for a small Airbnb ad. Just be sure to make full disclosure of the actual dimensions.

Last edited:
Back